HSS indexable inserts , link in post

More
05 Apr 2023 23:28 #268363 by smc.collins
as some of you do not have the machines to truly leverage carbide tools, nor the need. These popped onto my radar looking for inserts to handle interrupted cutting on cast iron. figured I would share.   www.arwarnerco.com/category-s/149.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2023 23:40 #268365 by andypugh
The 0.15" groovers look interesting, though I am puzzled that the LH as RH ones look identical. I can imagine using those to make lock pins and wafers.

It an interesting indication about issues of scale that the HSS ones cost the same as carbide.

More
05 Apr 2023 23:51 #268367 by smc.collins
interrupted cuts in hard materials, they tend to kill carbide inserts. also HSS is better for low power machines that aren't very rigid, they are sharper and are easier to use than carbide. Also thin work, small diameter materials that move etc. I thought they were interesting and useful for hobbyist's so I posted them up as a resources. Using standard tool holders is a massive plus.

More
06 Apr 2023 00:03 #268368 by andypugh
Oh, yes, I see the point entirely. I was just observing that the small production levels of a considerably easier to make part leads to price parity. In some ways I am surprised that they are not more exspensive, than carbide. I am wondering if they are actually made the same way using powder metallurgy, which would potentially make them a special run on the same machines, rather than making them by a completely separate process.

More
06 Apr 2023 02:14 #268372 by smc.collins
i called they are made from annealed has and then hardened and honed to size edge, i sent spme mcmn amd a few other common grooving inserts to see if they could make those as I'm working on some thin parts and wanted a hss tool without the hassle.

More
06 Apr 2023 05:31 #268382 by phillc54
I have been using their CCMW inserts for several years on my little Sherline and I am very happy with them.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds