EMC2 looks great - but then what

More
01 Nov 2009 23:52 #1069 by gpmarkb
Am I missing something?

Hearcd the EMC2 was the way to go with automating my milling machine. Looked at the web pages, found the download and documentation just fine. Downloaded everything and ran the demo Ubuntu disk. I've benn in software for years and I've got to say everything is well done. Good integration, good software documentation, etc.

Next step decide what hardware to buy to implement CNC functions. So far have found almost nothing. There are some links to hardware manaufacturers, but they say nothing about EMC and have no thoughts or recommendations. Back to the EMC website. Cannot find any documentation on anything but Sherline, etc. Looked in documents - nothing.

Is EMC2 only for the insiders who already have all the answers and newbies aren't welcome? Do the website designers not care about the success of all the work on EMC2?

Would sure like some direction here and hope I haven't wasted my time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2009 05:01 #1072 by cmorley
The web site is a little lacking in user friendlyness...the wiki is better.

here is a link to the wiki about hardware:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware

Most people are using Mesa or PPMC boards for larger / or higher performance projects.
Otherwise the parport is popular with any step/direction drives (eg gecko)

There is also a maillist .

Chris

More
02 Nov 2009 23:46 #1079 by BigJohnT
gpmarkb wrote:

Am I missing something?

I'm sure you are missing something but unless you ask a specific question it is hard to guess what you are wondering about.

Is EMC2 only for the insiders who already have all the answers and newbies aren't welcome? Do the website designers not care about the success of all the work on EMC2?

Did you even read that after typing it? Talk about pissing in the wind... The website is maintained by the current developers... no high paid designers here, only volunteers who give up their limited time here on the earth to work on this project. I'm sorry they could not anticipate your requirements in advance so you would not have to ask a question. The wiki site is community maintained by users like me and maybe you one day.

Would sure like some direction here and hope I haven't wasted my time!

I don't think I can even comment on that...

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds