L297/L298 Bipolar stepper driver

More
16 Oct 2011 05:12 - 16 Oct 2011 05:15 #13942 by unitedfollowers
Has anyone gotten the stated driver to work with EMC2? I can't seem to get mine to work, what are the values you used for the driver in the stepconf wizard. Is there a way to see if the serial cable is actually outputting data because I think that that is not working. I think its mainly that I don't have the right values, but on the first page for the driver setup I used these four values (top to bottom):

and
1000 <-- I think, I can't remember

Specifically, when I try to test my axis in the wizard, I can't get the motor to move with the jog or distance move tests. The pins are correct, with the step pin inverted for the l297. I did remove pin 1 (defined as the inverted step signal for my axis) from my l297's clock pin and then just connected the l297's pin to random pins on the serial cable and the motor rotated, albeit erratically, but it will rotate in one direction for full rotations by doing this depending on the random pin. But when connected to the pin 1 which was defined as the original step pin the motor does nothing and just locks up , which is what it does on idle with no input.

I bet its just a value thing, but I think it could also mean that either EMC2 is not working correctly on my system or my LPT (I think that's what its called) port is broken or different somehow.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2011 05:15 by unitedfollowers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2011 00:28 #13960 by andypugh
Try driving LEDs direct from HAL with "setp" instructions.
ie, at the command line:

halrun
loadrt hal_parport cfg="0"
loadrt threads
addf parport.readall thread1
addf parport.writeall thread1
start

setp parport.0.pin-09-out 1
setp parport.0.pin-09-out 0

(and so on) checking with a multimeter. That should answer part of your question.

I like checking drivers this way as it removes a lot of extra complexity from the process.
(but you do need to remember the addf and the start)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds