MESA 5i20, 7i33 and INDEX pulse

More
10 Jan 2010 06:54 #1483 by Zig
This qustion is based on prior experience with EMC ( using LPT ) attempting to home on an index pulse only to find the homing procedure calls for an extended duration pulse in order to allow the joint to stop, backtrack and then approach the leading edge of the pulse and finaly home correctly.

This time I intend to apply the index pulse froma a linear glass scale to the above combination of interface hardware.

Will i have to extend the duration of index pulse in this instance to be able to implement the homing procedure?

Zig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2010 22:24 #1486 by PCW
Hardware wise, no index widening is needed, the index hardware (well stiffware) in the 5I20 does 2 things when an index is detected:
1. Clears the flag that indicates it was searching for an index
2. Latches the encoder count

Software wise, section 7.3.2 of the integrator manual shows index only homing as an option (though I have not tried it)

More
12 Jan 2010 13:08 #1502 by BigJohnT
I'm guessing that the use index homing is usually used with servo systems with encoder feedback to some hardware like a 5i20.

Does the 5i20 set a flag for EMC that the index has been found or does clearing the search for index flag signal EMC that the index has been found?

Thanks
John

More
12 Jan 2010 15:02 #1503 by PCW
This is all done with the bidirectional HAL pin index-enable
when index-enable is set, a index pulse will clear the encoder counter
and also clear index-enable.

(This is how the HostMot2 driver makes it look to HAL, my description above referred
somewhat confusingly to what the hardware actually does)

More
12 Jan 2010 23:38 #1507 by BigJohnT
Peter,

Thanks for clearing that up.

John

More
13 Jan 2010 03:07 #1508 by Zig
PCW,

Thanks for the good oil.

Plan to start wiring the controls over the next 24 hours ( if i said this afternoon it might not make sense since i am in a different time zone :) )

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds