help foy buy motors and board

More
13 May 2014 21:08 #46880 by octubrq
hi all, I have a question. I have a homemade cnc 1000mm x 1500mm mdf and had a Nema 32 motors and do not have enough strength. I'm new and just want to cut mdf. I send you a photo of the assembled machine and a link to the engines and the board. have enough strength motors ?the board it supports LinuxCNC? sorry for my English. thanks

www.ebay.es/itm/German-Free-Schrittmotor...tem338cadbe21&_uhb=1
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2014 00:19 #46899 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic help foy buy motors and board
Those are standard step/dir drives and a standard breakout so should be full compatible with LinuxCNC

Those are very high torque motors, but note that high torque step motors are often fairly slow

More
14 May 2014 00:44 #46901 by octubrq
Thank you. which you recommend to work with 16mm MDF and are quick with the same price?

More
14 May 2014 22:54 #46931 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic help foy buy motors and board
I dont have any direct experience with routers so maybe someone with
MDF router experience can chime in here...

More
14 May 2014 23:14 #46932 by BigJohnT
There is at least on chap on the IRC that runs a router to cut MDF IIRC.

JT

More
14 May 2014 23:47 #46933 by Todd Zuercher
Milling MDF you are going to want something fairly fast capable of milling at least about 200 inches/min. The motors you linked to are high torque, but are relatively low RPM. You will need to have the right gearing/screws to make them work well. We have a few routers with 400 oz/inch nema 34 steppers using rack and pinion drive. They seem to be adequate for milling 3/4 inch (16mm) MDF. They are geared such that 1 revolution of the motor is about 2.5 inches of movement and can move as fast as about 600 inches/min. The problem with high torque low speed motors, is that if you gear them so you get good speed you loose resolution. From the looks of your pictures I am guessing your screw pitches are to fine and they are going to severely limit your top speed with those motors.

I would suggest playing with your motors and see how fast you can get them to go without loosing steps, then re-gear appropriately.

Since you said you are not getting enough strength from the motors I am guessing that you are trying to spin them too fast. Their torque drops off very fast beyond about 2000 RPM. I would suggest trying to keep their speeds below 1000 RPM.

More
15 May 2014 00:13 #46935 by octubrq
I was wrong, my engines are NEMA23 Stepper Motor 270oz.. what motors and board to advise me to buy with my settings?

More
15 May 2014 01:16 #46936 by Todd Zuercher
Those may still work fine (maybe even better than larger ones.) A smaller step motor won't have as much holding torque, but it will probably be able to spin faster and retain more of it's torque to a higher RPM. Also the more voltage that is fed to the motor the higher RPM it can achieve. Are you using software or hardware step generation? Getting your step generation properly tuned can also make a difference. This is about the end of my step motor knowledge. Hopefully some other step motor guru can give more/better advise.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds