Another Mesa card question - Bridgeport Interact

More
30 Jun 2014 22:07 - 30 Jun 2014 22:08 #48342 by scruffythefirst
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've bought some mesa cards for my Bridgeport conversion, but it appears I've probably bought the wrong IO card. Having delved into exactly what I want to achieve and having used my Interact with the original Hadenheim TNC145 for a few months I realise that nearly all of the IO would be best on 24v dc, and I have a lot more than I originally envisaged. I'm quite keen to keep a lot of the hardware switches and pots and minimise the use of the mouse.

I have a 5i23 and 7i48 which should give me enough encoders and analogue outs for the planned upgrade to 5 axis, along with VFD spindle control. I also bought a 7i42TA but I don't think I want to use this now, as I'd rather not mess about making PCB's to interface it to the 24v IO.

I need 7 24v outputs

VFD Fwd
VFD Rev
Flood Coolant
Mist Coolant
Brake Solenoid
Axis Enable (part of the E-stop chain)
Lube Pump

I'd like a lot of Inputs (in addition to the Encoders on the 7i48), some of which really ought to be Analogue, specifically

FRO rotary dial (potentiometer)
Spindle Speed override / manual spindle speed (potentiometer)
Manual feed rate dial (potentiometer)
Mode select rotary switch / push-buttons (i'd rather not have to build a diode network or use an encoder chip to save IO), so DAC here would be handy)
Axis select rotary switch for pendant
VFD analogue out (0-10v or 2-10v) for spindle load meter

MPG 100ppr differential, I'd like to avoid tying up an encoder channel on the 7i48 if possible, but happy to leave it for now.

Plus at least 14 standard 24v digital inputs.

So, it looks like I need some combination of remote serial daughtercards (7i66 or 7i84) to give me 8 bit DAC's for the analogue inputs, plus enough 24v digital IO and a 7i44 to interface them to the 5i23. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best / easiest combination?

I can't see a remote 6 channel servo card, which would have made the wiring a lot more convenient if I have to buy a 7i44 anyway.

Many thanks, you can see from the picture I like biting off more than I can chew!

Hugh
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Jun 2014 22:08 by scruffythefirst.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2014 22:08 #48368 by PCW
For simple 24V I/O a 7I37TA will give you 16 inputs and 8 outputs

If you want analog inputs for things like feed override and MPGs, a 7I84
is probably a better choice, but requires a 7I44 or other RS-422 interface card.
Other RS422 interface options are the 7I52 (6 channels), and a 485X1 connected to 7I42 (1 channel)
The 7I52 option also adds 6 more encoder inputs
The following user(s) said Thank You: scruffythefirst

More
02 Jul 2014 01:08 #48371 by andypugh

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Hello and welcome.

nearly all of the IO would be best on 24v dc, and I have a lot more than I originally envisaged. I'm quite keen to keep a lot of the hardware switches and pots and minimise the use of the mouse.

With a 5i23 the 7i37TA would look like the natural choice.
It seems that www.duzi.cz has at least one, and that eusurplus.pt doesn't (those being in the EU so saving on time and import duties)

I'd like a lot of Inputs (in addition to the Encoders on the 7i48), some of which really ought to be Analogue, specifically
FRO rotary dial (potentiometer)

I would consider swapping the pots for encoders as that way it is easier for them to co-operate with other sources of over-ride. There are pot-form encoders very cheap on eBay.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390605649309 as a random example.

MPG 100ppr differential, I'd like to avoid tying up an encoder channel on the 7i48 if possible, but happy to leave it for now.

The 7i73 might be worth a look for front-panel wiring. Lots of IO and several encoder channels.
However, you can't directly connect smart-serial to the 7i53, you would need a 7i44 too. If you do go with smart-serial then the 7i64 is a very nice board, though not inexpensive. It can drive fairly high loads directly, I have mine operating solenoid valves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scruffythefirst

More
03 Jul 2014 04:53 #48399 by scruffythefirst
Thanks Guys,

I think going with the smart serial is a good idea, it gives me plenty of I/O including analogue inputs and simplifies the control panel wiring considerably. I'm not sure what benefit encoders have over pots, where else can you change the feed / spindle override except from a dial on the front of the console? I don't want to be clicking a mouse if I've programmed an over aggressive cut by accident.

I think the best combo would be (massive overkill)

5i23
7i48
7i52 (smart serial and MPG encoder)
7i66-8 (cabinet I/O + solenoid outputs)
7i84 (control panel I/O)

Is this combination something that Pnconf is going to be able to support? It's not the end of the world, but if not but would make life easier!

Is 2.6 worth waiting for?

I'll start a build thread as I get a bit closer to the conversion, the CAD is coming along for the motor covers and new console B)

More
03 Jul 2014 05:13 - 03 Jul 2014 05:13 #48401 by andypugh

I think going with the smart serial is a good idea, it gives me plenty of I/O including analogue inputs and simplifies the control panel wiring considerably.

There are quite a few sserial cards with "hidden" analogue input capability. Even the 7i73 has the potential for 8 analogue inputs if configured in the right mode.
In fact, I would always recommend the 7i73 as a control panel interface, it is rather inexpensive and is set up for matrix-wiring.

I'm not sure what benefit encoders have over pots, where else can you change the feed / spindle override except from a dial on the front of the console?

The GUI's can change the over-rides. Even if you don't intend to use the GUI, encoders are just easier to make "play nice with others"

Is this combination something that Pnconf is going to be able to support? It's not the end of the world, but if not but would make life easier!

Try it. Pncconf actually doesn;t need connected hardware. It would actually be a much easier maintenance job for Chris if it did, because the sserial cards declare their capability to the driver when they are connected.

Is 2.6 worth waiting for?

No need to wait, you can use it now. Instructions at buildbot.linuxcnc.org (you need to install 2.5 first though).

By way of introduction: I wrote the Mesa sserial drivers for LinuxCNC, and I am in Essex.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2014 05:13 by andypugh.

More
03 Jul 2014 05:42 #48402 by scruffythefirst
Ahh, small world! I grew up in Saffron Walden and covered all of Essex from Southend - Felixstowe for the EA when I used to work for them.

I'll hopefully get the PC fired up again and give Pncconf a go this weekend.

Cheers

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds