Mesa 5i20 daughter cards

More
21 May 2010 11:13 #2949 by BigJohnT
I started with the sample config for the hm2-servo/5i20 and went from there. The problem with my configs is once I get done it is pretty specific to my machine and may get confusing if a lot of things don't match your machine. If the machines were the same and the integration was done the same then the config files would make sense. The best way to share specific items is to break it up into snippets of code like "here is my turret code for hal" etc. I'm not near the machine atm but I can post my files later.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2010 10:36 #2983 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Mesa 5i20 daughter cards
Okay we have decided on the a 7I47S for step motor drive, spindle encoder in and spindle analog out and a 7I37TA for 24V limit switch in and 24V coolant etc out. We are adding a differential encoder with index to the spindle to be able to do rigid tapping in the future. We may use US Digital H5 with index and differential output www.usdigital.com/products/encoders/incr...tal/rotary/shaft/h5/
Any thoughts on that and what resolution I should use?

Thanks again,
Rick G

More
24 May 2010 11:03 #2985 by BigJohnT
Going into the 5i20 I'd get the highest resolution they have.

I like the encoders at Automation Direct they have a built in cable and cost a little less.

www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Ca...Shaft_(TRD-S_Series)

John

More
25 May 2010 10:35 #2997 by Rick G
John,

I was unaware of that supplier I'll take a look today after I place my Mesa order.

Thanks,

Rick G

More
25 May 2010 11:34 #2998 by BigJohnT
I bought my first PLC from AutomationDirect way back in the mid 90's when they were called PLC Direct and use them when their products fit as they are usually the most cost effective place to get automation supplies.

John

More
22 Jun 2010 10:28 #3198 by Rick G
Hello all,

I am now bench testing the 5i20 with a 7i47S and a 7i37TA. The computer is a 1.3GHz with EMC 2.4.1 and the current Hostmot2. With the 5i20 doing all the heavy lifting of the step generation I do not feel I need any more computer than that. With a full tower case I should be able to mount all the cards inside the one computer

I got off to a bumpy start with my first setup that resulted in ferrors and with the ferror set high my steppers did not move particularly smooth. ( a bit of an understatement there) I researched this and found a thread that suggested setting the stepgen acceleration somewhat higher than max acceleration might help. On my setup I found that with max velocity set at 1 and max acceleration set at 8 if I set stepgen velocity at 1.012 and stepgen acceleration at 16 I could get great movement and set my ferror down to .001 inch. This problem and solution may be unique to my set up. The normal set up has stepgen max acceleration at 0 and stepgen max velocity at 0 when set accordingly emc controls the stepgen acceleration and velocity.

Going back to basics I started with the sample hm2-stepper set up and found the problem did not exist there, it worked great.

I then studied my set up to find a difference that could cause the problem. After many changes without success I went back and removed the BASE THREAD from both my hal and ini files. I probably do not need a BASE THREAD with hardware step generation. I then reset stepgen max acceleration to 0 and stepgen max velocity to 0. On my machine this did the trick, the stepper moves smooth as silk, can be run faster, no more ferror, life is good.

Now on to the spindle VFD section...

Rick G

More
22 Jun 2010 21:44 #3199 by BigJohnT
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together...

John

More
09 Jul 2010 11:18 #3307 by Rick G
And the beat goes on. On the test bench things are looking good. The 7i47S spindle speed (analog signal) does it job just as advertised.
When supplied with a 5 volt source it put out a 0-5 volt signal out based on the requested spindle rpm and generated with a pwm generator.

After setting a spindle speed and using the MDI commands m03 m04 and m05 everything works great.

One curious thing about my setup is that even after setting a spindle speed (S2000) when I return to the manual mode in AXIS hitting the spindle stop button works fine but hitting the spindle start button sets the speed at 1 not 2000 rpm.
I will have to study my hal file some.

Rick G

More
09 Jul 2010 11:47 #3308 by andypugh

One curious thing about my setup is that even after setting a spindle speed (S2000) when I return to the manual mode in AXIS hitting the spindle stop button works fine but hitting the spindle start button sets the speed at 1 not 2000 rpm.

Don't bother looking for a HAL problem, that is just what it does.

M3 in MDI should restart at the previous speed.

In theory you could link a pyvcp button to be "restart at current speed" by using an MDI_COMMAND with M3 in it.

More
10 Jul 2010 11:12 #3316 by Rick G

Don't bother looking for a HAL problem, that is just what it does.

Thanks Andy that will save the time of looking for problems that do not exist. I was thinking that might be the case.

In theory you could link a pyvcp button to be "restart at current speed" by using an MDI_COMMAND with M3 in it.

Good point on the pyvcp, I will have to try that.

I can also turn the spindle on and off plus increase and decrease the spindle speed from my usb pendant, I normally use the pendant to the turn the spindle on and off anyway.

I have to admit the hal tools such as "watch" are great for troubleshooting.

Rick G

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds