Help with Servo Drive?

More
05 Feb 2015 23:57 #55722 by Todd Zuercher
I have a machine (double cut miter-saw) that has an automatic stop fence/pusher. It's control died and I would love to be able to revive it using Linuxcnc.
Attached is the schematics for the original control system, but I can't quite figure out how exactly the drive was controlled. I think it was via a RS-485 connection.

The drive is an Easys MDC1, does anyone know anything about one of these drives?
www.easys.it/prod_file/azionamento_dc_ind.pdf
I don't know Italian, and I have not been able to get any email response from the drive's manufacturer.

The stop manufacturer wasn't much more help but at least they would talk to me. They sent me the attached pdf but were unable to provide any information on how to control the drive.

What would I need to know to use the RS-485 to control this, and any ideas where or how to glean it?

The pdf from the Easys web site does mention analog control as well, but without any connector labeling on the drive, and no manuals, I can't figure out what would need to go where.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2015 01:19 #55725 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Help with Servo Drive?

I have a machine (double cut miter-saw) that has an automatic stop fence/pusher. It's control died and I would love to be able to revive it using Linuxcnc.
Attached is the schematics for the original control system, but I can't quite figure out how exactly the drive was controlled. I think it was via a RS-485 connection.

Well, I see a standard optical encoder and a DC brush motor.

What would I need to know to use the RS-485 to control this, and any ideas where or how to glean it?

RS-485? I doubt you can do anything with RS-485, that is a serial communication standard for computer
gear. The cheapest way would be to use a Gecko 320-series step-servo drive and a computer
parallel port. Depending on the encoder resolution and how fast you need to move it,
that likely would do. Somewhat more expensive (please excuse my product plug) would be the Pico Systems
Universal PWM Controller and one PWM servo amp.

Jon

More
06 Feb 2015 04:49 #55727 by dracozny
Replied by dracozny on topic Help with Servo Drive?
not very easy to read, here is a translation of that italian flier Caratteristiche principali:
● Dimensioni compatte 100x90x90 mm (open frame)
● Alimentazione 90 Vac , 50/60Hz (direttamente da trasformatore esterno)
● Utilizzabile per motori corrente continua a spazzole max 90Vdc
● Potenza erogabile 0,4Kw
● ingressi analogici:
➢ 1 ingresso +-10v (dinamo tachimetrica / velocità)
● seriale RS485 per comandi posizione , parametri ecc..
● Applicazioni :
➢ Controllo asse autonoma , parallelabile , con altri azionamenti / dispositivi su bus RS485

looking at the schematic there is a 24V feed and a 0v reference to the circuit via that large header there are two pins that will take a =-10V one is for forward movement one is for reverse. that is at least an analog input option. Which a 7i77 could do.

More
06 Feb 2015 05:48 #55728 by Todd Zuercher
A little clarification on the schematic. Most of the connectors and wireing shown are for the now dead control, the only connector on the drive shown in the drawings is the CN1 (1-8) on the second row, it is the power and motor connections. The encoder and every thing else went to the control. The only connection between the control and the drive, is a small 4 pin plug, with only 3 wires connected (one of which is the shielding on the wire, therefore a ground), That set of wires is not shown in the schematic and the 4 pin plugs on the drive and control are not labeled. But since it is the only 4 pin plug on the back of the control, I had assumed it was CN-8 on the drawing. The drive has a second 4 pin plug and a 12 pin header, that were not connected to anything.

More
06 Feb 2015 07:25 #55729 by dracozny
Replied by dracozny on topic Help with Servo Drive?
7i34 or 7i44 would provide 8 channels of RS485/422 the 44 uses RJ45 connectors instead of a ribbon cable.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds