New user (hopefully) control questions/decisions

More
18 Sep 2015 13:26 #62738 by RNCTX
Hi guys, I am completely new to CNC, but not Linux/Unix.

What I have, which is why I'm posting in this forum first, is a Sieg KX3 that I've bought from a local gunsmith who was using it to make holsters, and decided to upgrade to a bigger unit. He had replaced the the controller with a Warp9 ethernet controller, and the original controller isn't present, so given the choice between throwing my wallet and self respect to Mach or getting rid of the controller, the Warp9 controller will look nice on eBay.

This is a 3 axis machine, with a 4th un-used controller should I ever want to add a lathe attachment I suppose.

From reading around here, it looks like the Mesa boards are the preferable route to take with LinuxCNC, I see the 5i25 mentioned alot, or there is apparently a new PCI-E version, the 6i25. Is there any benefit to the PCI-E interface/version? The bus is obviously faster but I don't know if that's an issue here...

Or, considering I'm completely new at this, would I be better off getting a replacement for the original controller and starting from scratch there, in your humble opinions?

I'm reading the wiki bit by bit but not finding an obvious place to start here, thanks for any guidance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2015 14:36 #62739 by Rick G
Hello,

If you have not already take a look here...
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-started/

To start run a latency test on the computer you wish to use to see if it is capable of adequate software step generation.
Look at your drivers and check what micro stepping is available, gearing , etc. and run the stepconf wizard to get a good idea.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...configuration_wizard

Does the computer have a parallel port?
If you opt for the fourth axis will 1 parallel port be adequate for all the steppers, home limits etc.?

Rick G
The following user(s) said Thank You: RNCTX

More
18 Sep 2015 15:30 #62742 by cncbasher
personally i dont think their is a performance issue between the mesa cards you mention
as what you have has already been converted to a warp9 then changing that out for a mesa should be relatively an easy operation .

do you have a list of connections that have been made or a replaced sch etc , that would make it even easier
their are many of us using mesa boards , so you'll be in safe hands here .

but of course shout if you have too

and welcome to the world of linuxcnc , hope you enjoy your time here

you probably would get away with using a parallel port also if you wanted a cheap option , as rick has already mentioned
if the pc you have of course has one . however the mesa cards do open up your world of options at a later date .

More
19 Sep 2015 00:18 #62762 by JohnPrime
I have a KX3, running steppers through a CNC4PC C11G card from the parallel port. It all works reasonably well but I want to explore the mesa world (just curious, really) as described here .

There are (at least) 3 options:
  • run direct from the parallel port as I am now (easy to set up using stepconf, cheapest option, relatively gentle start to LCNC)
  • use a 5i25, taking its parallel port output straight to a standard breakout board (but you might need a custom 'bit' file for your breakout board, which is a difficult undertaking as a beginner unless some kind soul can make one for you -- I haven't succeeded yet)
  • use a 5i25 with a 7i76 daughter board (more expensive, better documented -- many people use this combination)

Partly it depends on your knowledge and experience, as well as your desire for a challenge. If you decide on the first option I can post my config files for you to ridicule look at.

Cheers,

John

More
19 Sep 2015 13:14 - 19 Sep 2015 13:20 #62776 by RNCTX
Yes, the motherboard has an internal parallel header (Intel DH77EB, just need to get a low profile bracket for it). I'm reading that shielding is an issue due to the nature of how these things run, is there a preferred supplier for internal-to-parallel brackets/adapters?

It's got an i3 2500 and 8gb of ram in it, salvaged parts from its former life as a NAS that was upgraded to a supermicro board with ipmi.

I think considering I'm starting from scratch here with zero cnc experience, John's first option is probably best to start with. I'm gonna track down the original factory controller and re-create the pin layout listed in the machine's manual, and get going with the parallel port.

As I get a better grasp of how all this works I might tinker with replacements later.

And yes, I'd much appreciate your configs, John, thanks. robertnclayton at gmail is me.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2015 13:20 by RNCTX.

More
19 Sep 2015 16:32 #62779 by cncbasher
Robert:
iv'e not had problems using a db25 on mounting bracket with a short ribbon cable to a header on these boards
as per the attached link

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parallel-Port-Header-...oxconn-/171829817290

More
20 Sep 2015 00:51 #62791 by RNCTX
Update: I have to take back all of the bad thoughts I had about the seller of this machine, I double checked the box of 'extra' stuff he gave me and the original parallel controller was still in there, with the cut wires properly marked for easy replacement to match the original pin layout.

So now I'm just short some parallel cables and I should be in business, thanks for the replies everyone.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds