Setting up 5i25 with 7176 for two machines

More
06 Mar 2016 09:25 #71112 by Clive S
Is it OK to set up two machines with one 7i76.

Machine one would be lathe with encoder on spindle A B + index for threading. X and Z steppers. and hopefully two rotary hand wheels for jogging (and using without cnc)

Machine two would be a mill with X, Y, Z steppers plus separate homing switches and a probe.

I would also like to fit separate jogging and feed hold buttons as well.

I was hoping to set this up with two profiles ie start PC in lathe config and then restart with mill config. (one at a time) will this cause any problems as the second config will have the step/dir starting at 2,3,and 4 as 0 and 1 would be connected but not used.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2016 12:59 #71146 by andypugh
No, that's absolutely fine.

I have a very similar configuration, except that in my case it is the same machine. (A lathe/mill combo)

In Mill mode X is Stepgen.0, Y is Stepgen.1, Z is Stepgen.2, A is Stepgen.3
In Lathe mode X is Stepgen.1 and Z is Stepgen.0. I have a change-over relay driven by an output pin that switches between the spindle motors from a common VFD.

With a parallel port you only need to switch the pin assignments, but with a 7i76 the pins are hard-code to the stepgen, so you need to configure the stepgen numbers in the Axis sections of the HAL.

You may run out of MPG inputs. You can conveniently add more with a 7i73.

More
07 Mar 2016 13:32 #71154 by Clive S

In Mill mode X is Stepgen.0, Y is Stepgen.1, Z is Stepgen.2, A is Stepgen.3
In Lathe mode X is Stepgen.1 and Z is Stepgen.0.

Andy Thanks for the response But I don't think I am following you. You seem to be using the same Stepgens for mill and lathes.

I am using 5 drives 2 for the lathe and 3 for the mill I want to leave them connected. If you have the time would you mind pointing me in the right direction with some board 7i76 pin numbers to get me started.

Is it possible to use the MPG on some input pins. I will use the spindle encoder on encoder input TB3 7i76 board ref

More
07 Mar 2016 13:54 #71157 by andypugh
Clearly your machine is not my machine :-)

All I was saying with the example was that you can allocate axes to stepgens in any way you want.
The pin to stepgen-number arrangement on the 7i76 is fixed and documented in the manual.

More
07 Mar 2016 14:15 #71159 by Clive S

Clearly your machine is not my machine :-)

All I was saying with the example was that you can allocate axes to stepgens in any way you want.
The pin to stepgen-number arrangement on the 7i76 is fixed and documented in the manual.

Andy I think I have just had a light bulb moment. I think you are saying you have a stepgen for each axis but you can have say X on both machines connected to that stepgen with different pins.

More
07 Mar 2016 14:35 #71160 by andypugh
Well, yes and no...

You can't change the pins.

Mill:
net X-position-cmd axis.0.motor-position-cmd => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.stepgen.00.position-cmd
net Y-position-cmd axis.1.motor-position-cmd => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.stepgen.01.position-cmd
net Z-position-cmd axis.1.motor-position-cmd => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.stepgen.02.position-cmd

Lathe
net X-position-cmd axis.0.motor-position-cmd => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.stepgen.03.position-cmd
net Z-position-cmd axis.1.motor-position-cmd => hm2_5i25.0.7i76.0.stepgen.04.position-cmd

(I made up the 7i76 pin names, they might be wrong)

More
07 Mar 2016 14:38 #71161 by Clive S
Thank you Andy that is very helpful :)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds