7i76E - Ethernet version, questions.

More
29 Aug 2016 22:22 #79696 by Moronicsmurf
I'm fairly new to this linuxcnc shenanigans other than tried driving stuff off an old computer with parallell port i haven't dug into this much more.

And a friend of mine told me if i wanted to get more stuff going i should look into mesa cards. So that i did.
And boy are they confusing.

I figured out i would need something like a 7i80DB-16 - but then i noticed there were this 7i76E card for steppers.
But, would that need the 7i80DB card at all or would it be driven "solo" by itself occupying the ethernet port?
Because im guessing running the cards through like say a Switch would not be somewhat quirky or?

Hope somebody can clear this up Would be nice to be able to run ethernet based stuff instead, and shrinking the total footprint from a large box besides the machine to something more manageable. =)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2016 22:52 #79697 by PCW
The 7I76E includes the FPGA so is a stand-alone, Ethernet connected I/O
device for LinuxCNC

More
30 Aug 2016 00:00 #79698 by andypugh
The 7i76E connects to Ethernet, as does the 7i80, so they are alternatives.

For simple the 5i25 + 7i76 is most common and conventional. The Ethernet cards only work with the "uspace" version of LinuxCNC (ie, as far as I know, not with a LiveCD installation). You can, after the install, get uspace as a package from the manager, I have been told.

More
30 Aug 2016 07:04 #79704 by Moronicsmurf
Ah yes a PCI card would be the easier solution but i don't really got any room for it, and planning to move to a uhm, Beaglebone i think they are called. making the whole solution a bit more compact crammed into a smaller box.

But if 7i76E is a stand alone card i', thinking that gotta be a good middleway, regarding the uspace part i already run it in uspace. Because i couldnt get the livecd working due too old drivers and such so i compiled my own kernel and built a new installation from Debian Jessie instead. Works so far with the parallell port.

The idea of using a FPGA card is to get some robustness into it.. the parallell port tends to be finnicky and the mainboard is really old.

More
30 Aug 2016 10:55 #79716 by rodw
I've yet to fire up my 7i76E as I'm still building the machine and have not even started on the electronics. However, I did notice after upgrading to V 2.7 that that pcconf includes tabs specifically to set up the 7i76E even though I have no hardware connected to the PC. I originally installed from the Live CD.

You do need a single point to point ethernet connection to the card so you'll need to connect to your network via a second ethernet interface or use wifi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moronicsmurf

More
02 Sep 2016 13:01 #79903 by Moronicsmurf
Nice i need to take a look at that then.. hard trying to decide for what hardware.

More
09 Sep 2016 22:47 #80267 by BigJohnT
The 7i92 has the same requirements as other Ethernet cards so the Ethernet connection info on my web site for the 7i92 is valid for the 7i76e.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds