Machine breakout PCB's any interest?

More
30 Aug 2016 17:34 #79730 by Jake
I need to build a PCB breakout board for my Hurco. But if I have a bunch of them run I can get them for a decent price.

My initial thoughts were to use rows of the Phoenix connectors either 2.5 or 3.5mm pitch connectors for all the inputs and outputs instead of a specific connector, and row of connectors to go to your control system. I am thinking about having current amplifier provisions to be able to drive relays, and be able to connect all the shields from all the cabling. Have 4 encoders roll through the board, hmm what else am I forgetting....

Would anybody be interested?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2016 01:36 #80034 by tommylight
I missed the sale of a HURCO BMC20 a while back, so count me out. Now i am hunting a deal on a Mazak near me.
I like your idea, but retrofits for that type of machines are few and far between, hence the lack of interest.
Sorry for the late reply.
Tom

More
06 Sep 2016 13:43 #80074 by Jake

I missed the sale of a HURCO BMC20 a while back, so count me out. Now i am hunting a deal on a Mazak near me.
I like your idea, but retrofits for that type of machines are few and far between, hence the lack of interest.
Sorry for the late reply.
Tom

I should have been a bit more descriptive in my post. I am thinking about a somewhat universal board.
-Being able to take 4 encoders through the board
-Limit switches for 4 axis
-Tool changer limits
-Current amplifiers to drive relays

Wire management is proving to be a challenge, making it look pretty and have full functionality. I have been using a bunch of the Phoenix din rail mount terminal blocks, but it still just does not look professional.

This is why I was thinking about using the Phoenix plug in terminal blocks on this board, then you could remove your existing connectors and terminate through the plug in term blocks. Then you could have a clean way to connect cable shields, and ground conductors coming from peripherals. I am going to try to get some time to lay it out and post a model of the board.

The same board should be able to handle just about any machine, mainly just a way to interface from the existing machine to the new controller and make the transition organized and user friendly.

I am half tempted to just make the board I need and hope to get the other two sold or hold onto them for another retrofit as I am on the hunt for a turning center with live tooling.

More
06 Sep 2016 14:24 #80078 by tommylight
Just in case you missed it, MESA has already hardware for whatever you might and might not need. I thought you needed a board with connectors for having neat wiring inside the case.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

More
06 Sep 2016 15:05 #80080 by Jake
It is the breakout board that I need to go from the machine peripherals to the controller. I am running Pico PPMC on my Hurco. It is making the nice transition from the machine to the controller that has been the challenge. I ditched my existing BOB board that was in the machine as it had been repaired a few times and I though it was going to be a mess to get reliability out of it. Along with that I had no schematics of the board, so I would have gone point to point on it which would have taken 100's of hours.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds