Help with Mesa card seletion

More
08 Sep 2016 19:04 #80241 by Mike VT
Yep, the tool mark will happen. Mostly I want the Pause to work while doing the first part test runs. I like to pause it short of the end of each move just to get an eyeball on it. Mainly, just recheck the distance to go and make sure I haven't completely goofed my program. Of course I could have just kept everything at a crawl to avoid the crash but what fun is that. Also, once I figured out that it can completely loose the tool path and randomly ruin parts and cutters (and maybe me), thats how I got here.

Loading up linux on a pc now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2016 19:53 #80244 by Todd Zuercher
As bad as you make it sound it is a wonder anyone bothers with Mach at all. I never tried it myself. Lucky for me Mach wasn't compatible with the hardware on my first Linuxcnc project!

More
08 Sep 2016 19:57 #80246 by andypugh

As bad as you make it sound it is a wonder anyone bothers with Mach at all.

Mach forums are probably full of folk saying "I tried LinuxCNC, but it was awful, it's so complicated and they expect you to know all about computers and machine tools and stuff"

100,000 users and 10,000 paid-for licenses can't be all wrong. (numbers made up)

More
08 Sep 2016 20:45 #80249 by Mike VT
It most certainly is as bad as it sounds. If there had been anything spelling this issue out up front, not a chance I would have went with Mach. I'm sure I'm in for a ride learning LinuxCnc but if the machine is safe and predictable, I'm up to it. One of the reasons I spelled out my experience was specifically that others may see it and make an informed decision.

Off for 3 days of tail gating. Go Hokies.

More
09 Sep 2016 02:39 #80251 by skunkworks
You will be very happy with feed hold. it is instant (as fast as the machine can de-accelerate.) Takes off right where it left off.

that being said - I don't use feed hold anymore. Since we hooked up maximum velocity to the jog wheel.

It lets you sneak up on a part (caps the maximum feed of a program - not scaling like feed override).

More
12 Sep 2016 15:17 #80365 by andypugh

Could you clarify. I thought velocity/acc=Time
Then X=V*t+1/2a*t^2.

Yes, but we don't know the time to stop, we know the velocity and acceleration and want the distance, so I used:
v^2 =u^2 + 2as as my starting point. (or x = (v^2)/2a if you prefer)

More
12 Sep 2016 17:21 #80370 by Mike VT
Wow, my math skills are very rusty. Took a few trys but I see your numbers are correct. Thanks

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds