Mesa 5i25 causes system crash

More
30 Dec 2017 10:21 - 30 Dec 2017 10:32 #103845 by +Jan+
Hello everybody,
my Name is Jan. I Live in Germany and build already some cnc Machines working with Linuxcnc.
During the winter holidays I`ve updated the CNC mill for the luthier workshop of my father with some servo drives and Mesa cards (5i25 and 7i76). Until know he was working with stepper drives and Linuxcnc via parallelport. If someone is interested I`ve attached a photo of the machine.

Unfortunately, I did not get the Mesacards cards running on two identical computers.

Here is the setup:

Mainboard Intel D525MW
Mesa 5i25
Mesa 7i76
Linux CNC 2.8 Master and 2.7.8 (tested both)

The following observations were made:

- PNCConf motor test/tuning without 5i25 works perfectly.
- PNCConf motor test/tuning with 5i25 and 7i76 leads to the freezing of the computer.
- Starting a configuration created with PNCConf without mesa cards will result in a message saying that the 5i25 is not found.
- Starting a configuration created with PNCConf with 5i25 will freeze the computer.
- Starting a configuration created with PNCConf with 5i25 and 7i71 causes the computer to freeze.
- Linuxcnc with standard parallel port configuration starts flawlessly.

When the computer starts and the 5i25 is powered up, the two red LEDs light up briefly in quick succession.

The manual says:

The 5I25 has 2 FPGA driven user LEDs (User 0 and User 1 = Green), and 2 statusLEDs (Red). The user LEDs can be used for any purpose, and can be used as a simpledebugging feature. A low output signal from the FPGA lights the LED. See the 5I25IO.PINfile for FPGA pin locations of the LED signals. The status LEDs reflect the state of the FPGA's DONE, and / INIT pins. The / DONE LED lights until the FPGA is configured at power-up. The / INIT LED lights when the power on reset is asserted, when there has beena CRC error during configuration. When using Mesas configurations, the / INIT LED blinks the fallback configuration has been loaded.

Do I understand correctly that the behavior in my cards is normal?

I bought the cards as a bundle. Nevertheless I flashed the 5i25 with the 5i25 x2 7i76 config wich worked fine.
For the 5i25 all jumpers are set up (the 5i supply of the 7i76 is activated), on the 7i76 both the jumper for 5 V supply and for Vield / Logic supply are set to the left. The two Powe LEDs on the 7i76 light up as usual.
An external 5V power supply (jumpers set in the correct way) brought no improvement.
The 7i76 connected to another control computer with 6i25 works well.
I received two 5i25 which cause the same problem.

Last week I set up another machine with a bundle of 5i25 and 7i76 from an old batch / delivery with the same hardware configuration without any problems. Does someone have an Idea where the search for the problem or how to check if the 5i25 is in good conditions

I`ve started a sample conmfiguration (Hostmod2 5i20 sample config). Attached you find the dmesg error report.

Best wishes

Jan
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Dec 2017 10:32 by +Jan+.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2017 11:26 - 30 Dec 2017 11:30 #103848 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 5i25 causes system crash
Your test config doesn't start because you have specified more encoders than exist in the 7I76x2 firmware:

[ 50.228901] hm2/hm2_5i25.0: config.num_encoders=3, but only 2 are available, not loading driver

Can you post the hal/ini file pair that causes the 5I25 system to crash?

Also posting the result of:

sudo mesaflash --device 5i25 --readhmid >pinout.txt

Might show if there's any thing funny about the card
Last edit: 30 Dec 2017 11:30 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: +Jan+

More
30 Dec 2017 14:03 #103850 by +Jan+
Replied by +Jan+ on topic Mesa 5i25 causes system crash
Thanks for your answer, I got the problem with the example config, it was just to see if the 5i25 reacts in anyway. If i start my config made with pncconf the system freezes without an debugging report.

File Attachment:

File Name: Pit.hal
File Size:11 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Pit.ini
File Size:4 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: pinout.txt
File Size:4 KB

Attached you find the files you requested.

Best wishes

Jan
Attachments:

More
30 Dec 2017 15:51 #103855 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 5i25 causes system crash
in the ini file,

SERVO_PERIOD = 16000
(16 us)
should be

SERVO_PERIOD = 1000000
( 1 ms )

You should not crash but a 62.5 KHz servo thread will definitely stall the CPU
The following user(s) said Thank You: +Jan+

More
30 Dec 2017 16:06 - 30 Dec 2017 16:06 #103857 by +Jan+
Replied by +Jan+ on topic Mesa 5i25 causes system crash
Two days trying to fix this problem, sometimes it is better to read carefully.
I filled in the max jitter instead of the servo period :blush:
Everything works now fine, thanks a lot!
Last edit: 30 Dec 2017 16:06 by +Jan+.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds