Multiple MESA FPGA Cards in one system

More
14 Jan 2018 22:15 #104476 by silden
Hi All,
I'm pretty new to linuxcnc and the MESA Cards, but I did a lot of reading and came up with one question.
Namely if I can have multiple MESA FPGA Cards in a single system.
The reason I'm asking is that I want to upgrade my current system from a LPT to MESA and I'm not sure weather I should buy a card that fits my current needs or a bigger one to account for future upgrades.
I would like to use 6I25 or 7I92 and later add another one to increase the capabilities of my system.
I read through some posts regarding the hotmos2 configuration and it stated that you load a certain firmware onto a 5I25.

In short, can I use multiple FPGA Cards of the same model or do I have to use different models and if it is even possible?
How should the configuration look like for multiple FPGA PCIe or ethernet cards.

Thank you in advance,
Denis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2018 22:39 - 14 Jan 2018 22:40 #104477 by PCW
You can use as many as 4 of each card type ( and have multiple card types in a system ),
but it's seldom required since a single 5I25 or 7I92 can provide more I/O than most machines
need. For example a 5i25 + a 7I76 provides 5 axis of step/dir outputs, 32 digital inputs. 16 digital outputs
a spindle encoder input, an analog spindle interface plus a serial expansion channel. You can
double this IO by adding a second 7I76 and extend even further by using the serial expansion channels
so systems that require more than one FPGA card are very rare
Last edit: 14 Jan 2018 22:40 by PCW.

More
15 Jan 2018 04:09 - 15 Jan 2018 04:10 #104494 by silden
Thank you for your reply.
This makes the decision easier.
BTW
I don’t believe that I will need more than a 6i25 can give me, but I know me and I am already planning to install linear encoders on each axis and I like to use a Tool changer on this machine.

But I will go with the 6i25 for now and extend the system as I go.

Thank you again for your help.
Denis
Last edit: 15 Jan 2018 04:10 by silden. Reason: typos

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds