7i76e smoke issues

More
19 Jun 2019 00:52 #137257 by AlessandroT
Hi folks, while I was trying to figure it out how to talk with the board, the square spartan component located nearby the ethernet started to smoke. Everything was very very hot.
It was only connected to the eth cable and the 5v power Inn, so I was surprised.
I wasn't able to ping the board, so now I don't know if it's broken or not. There is a method to check the board? I installed the stretch linux version from here: www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/ ---> linuxcnc-stretch-uspace-amd64.iso.
Is it ok this version with the 7i76e board?

Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2019 01:36 #137259 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i76e smoke issues
If the FPGA overheated, it is likely gone. I would check you 5V supply very carefully
before using it again.
For initial testing its best to use a current limited supply (a USB power cord works well for this)

More
19 Jun 2019 02:16 #137263 by AlessandroT
Replied by AlessandroT on topic 7i76e smoke issues
Thank you for the reply. Do you think that is possible to repair it or I need a new one? I see the led yellow and red on.

More
19 Jun 2019 03:34 #137265 by PCW
Probably not repairable but we will issue a RMA to repair/replace the card
if you contact Mesa

More
20 Jun 2019 13:36 #137379 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 7i76e smoke issues
Is this something that could happen if the card is jumpered for cable power and has external 5V connected?

More
20 Jun 2019 13:49 - 20 Jun 2019 13:49 #137380 by PCW
This is a 7I76E where the built in FPGA overheated and only power and Ethernet were connected. This suggests a power supply issue. It could be a random failure though I have never seen this type of failure before. (FPGA failures are most often caused by connecting voltages outside the safe area to I/O pins)

I do not trust unloaded ATX power supplies 5V rail so that could be an issue or it could be a problem with one of the on card switching regulators that supply 3.3V and 1.2V to the FPGA (from 5V)
Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 13:49 by PCW.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds