How to connect Sir88 to mesa board and linuxcnc

More
08 Sep 2020 20:14 #181314 by andypugh

3) how did you control the VFD of the spindles? the machine I have to deal with, has VFD with RS-485 port. Is it safe to assume that it is Modbus?

No, it isn't safe to assume that. For example the HuangYang VFDs have their own not-quite-modbus protocol.

But LinuxNC has quite a variety of RS485 drivers, so there might be a dedicated one. And then, it might be true modbus in which case there are options.

I do think that a Mesa-Modbus component would be immensely useful. But for a router waiting for spindle-at speed is probably enough. (on my machine, when I fit the high-speed head and VFD the update rate drops to about 5 seconds because of noise in the link. But that is OK because it waits for spindle-at-speed before the next G1 move,

I am using: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075818Z6H which is good for trouble-shooting as it flashes. A lot. But I have also bought (but not tested) www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082KKG55T to see if it is more noise tolerant. And also because it is a little shorter and less flashy.
I bought the first one as it had more wires, but the one that actually arrived only had 4 wires. (data and USB power)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2020 07:31 #181387 by Mike_Eitel
@Andy
Just a question: Have you implemented a bus termination of 120 ohm?

More
09 Sep 2020 07:43 #181391 by andypugh
I haven't. I suppose it's worth a try.

More
09 Sep 2020 08:22 #181395 by Mike_Eitel
I would bet some beer on that. ;-)

More
09 Sep 2020 09:00 #181402 by aleksamc
Currently i havn't run that project yet.

But if I will run it, I will use mesa cards to control servodrives, freaquency drive and I/O.
All sir88 I will remove to trash, because they use their fabrication closed protocol (possibly RS485 (ANSI x 3.28 - 2.5 A4)). If you are programmer and you know how to use it, you are welcome.

Servodrives are use analog control, that's why I prefere 7i77.

More
11 Sep 2020 20:44 #181792 by viesturs.lacis
Having lots of possibilities on that serial communication does not make it easy...
Anyway, I have 2 pictures:
One is the dataplate on top of the VFD (on the actual drive I need to control):
www.picpasteplus.com/v.php?i=5e1012dce1
The other one is front panel of a very similar VFD (manufacturer is the same, but I do not see RS-485 port in this picture, probably because this unit is older) from that other machine I did a retrofit few years ago:
www.picpasteplus.com/v.php?i=d028275684
Since it says it is made in UK, I was hoping that Andy might know something more about them. I was not agile enough to find a manual for them.

And then I have a question about recommended way to hook up servo drives. They are driven with analog signal. I have 7i48 for that purpose. I am not sure, how to set up HAL connections. Since servodrive are closing PID loop, I feel like I should skip PID modules in HAL, but am not sure if that is good idea. I would appreciate any suggestions.

More
11 Sep 2020 23:02 #181808 by PCW
The HAL PID modules are necessary because LinuxCNC is closing the
position loop (the drive is closing the torque and velocity loops)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds