Mesa 7i77 Servo amp wiring confusion!

More
17 Jan 2020 00:25 #155038 by woodworkerjb
I am doing my first full lathe retrofit to an American Way, AW-100 gang type lathe. The machine uses Baldor DC servos with quad encoders. The servo amps are Copley 413. The mesa combination is the 5i25/7i77 combination. After reading how several folks fried their boards do to incorrect wiring I thought I would try to clear up my confusion before continuing. In addition this is the first time using servo's and servo drives.

The Servo amp was originally configured to use Ref+ (pin4), Ref-(pin5), curr-
mon(pin8), /enable(pin11), /pos enable(pin12), /neg enable(pin13) and +Fault(pin14).

The dip switches are selected so that S1 OFF: ground enables, open or +5V inhibits (/Enable, /Pos & /Neg enable) and S2 ON: torque mode ( integrator off, flat-gain .

Am I to assume that Ref+(pin4) goes to AOUT0 REF-(pin5) goes to GND0? If that is corect how should I connect the /enable(pin11), /pos enable(pin12) and the /neg enable(pin13) pins?

In addition is the power being supplied to the servo amps coming from the 7i77 s2 field power?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Additional amp specs:

REFERENCE INPUT Differential, 100K between inputs, ±20V maximum
LOGIC INPUTS
Input voltage range 0 to +24V
Logic threshold voltage ( LO to HI transition ) 2.5V ( Schmitt trigger inputs with hysteresis )
/Enable ( S1 OFF; S1 ON reverses logic ) LO enables amplifier, HI disables (50ms delay to enable, <1ms to disable)
/POS enable, /NEG enable ( S1 OFF; S1 ON reverses logic ) LO enables POSitive/NEGative output currents, HI inhibits (<1ms delay)
/Reset LO resets latching fault condition, ground for self-reset every 50 ms.
Input resistance 10K pull-up to +5V, R-C filters to internal logic
LOGIC OUTPUTS
+Fault ( /Normal ) HI = Overtemp OR output short OR power NOT-OK, OR NOT-Enabled; LO = Operating normally AND enabled;
HI output voltage 2.4V min at -5.2 mA max
LO output voltage 0.5V max at 5.2 mA max. ( Note: TTL output, do not connect to loads >+5VDC )
MONITOR OUTPUTS
Current Monitor ( motor or load current ) ±6V @ ±Ipeak (1kW, 33nF R-C filter)
Current Ref ( current demand signal to PWM stage ) ±6V @ demands ±Ipeak
Voltage Monitor ( load voltage at output terminals ) Vout / 10 (412, 413), Vout / 20 (421, 422, 423, 432), Bandwidth = 200 Hz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2020 00:58 #155041 by PCW

Am I to assume that Ref+(pin4) goes to AOUT0 REF-(pin5) goes to GND0?

Yes

If that is corect how should I connect the /enable(pin11), /pos enable(pin12) and the /neg enable(pin13) pins?

/ENABLE to 7I77 ENAN+ 7I77 ENAN- to drive input common

the POS and NEG enables are probably not useful unless you want to wire them to limit switches

In addition is the power being supplied to the servo amps coming from the 7i77 s2 field power?

Umm which power?
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodworkerjb

More
17 Jan 2020 01:00 #155042 by tommylight
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodworkerjb

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds