Current limiting settings for Z axis AMC drives

More
14 Mar 2020 15:33 #160181 by OT-CNC
I asked this previously in an other thread but figured to start a new one here.

I'm changing out the old SD1525 drives with newer AMC BE25A20H.
My question is, do you guys use different current limiting settings on the Z than from say the X and Y? My motors are SEM I believe 5.5 A RMS, peek pulse 30A. I configured the X so far for those amp settings but I'm not sure if it makes sense to limit the Z further to protect the drive mechanism. Its on a BP Knee mill with a rather weak design Z quill drive. Anyone know what was suggested for the original anilam setup? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way around?

jmelson pointed out that the original manual quill clutch was set to 200 lbs linear force.

I assume without additional current limiting I could damage something and too much could cause nuisance trips. I couldn't find further info in my old docs and I tried counting the turns on the old drive's current pot to see what the setting was at. I didn't feel or hear a click at the of travel so that didn't work out.

Anyone know what Anilam or others suggested for their setups on the BPs? Running and peek amp settings? What do you guys have it set at?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2020 20:29 #160338 by OT-CNC
I'm finalizing wiring and set up today. I'm still waiting on some feedback on this.

More
15 Mar 2020 21:38 #160345 by tommylight
I like to limit all motors to what is usable regarding speed and acceleration, and then add another 20 to 40% over that.
On the other side, i also look for what would be reasonably some kind of risk of braking stuff, and if possible stay a bit below that.
You asked the same question on the other thread and got a valid reply from one of the users.
Do some rough calculations, there plenty of calculators for anything on the net.
This is not a question someone can answer you, we would need all the details of your machine, including how it will be used, to be able to give you a proper answer.
To be on the safe side, it is much better to have it to low and loose some material, than to have it to high and destroy the machine.

More
16 Mar 2020 19:23 #160463 by OT-CNC
Tommy, I appreciate your response and your knowledge.
I was hoping to get a starting point for those settings before I move the spindle against a scale. I assume a few members here have worked with a similar setup if not the same.
Would you in general lower both the running amp and peek settings for starters or just lower the peek? I'm mainly concerned about the forces generated during a crash rapiding in the Z.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds