Hybrid kit HSS86+nema 34

More
05 Aug 2020 18:07 #177411 by Jocman
Hi all.
As i gave up with the elmo drivers (to many problems),i got 3 hybrid kit with HSS86 drivers + 3 nema 34 motors.
I'm going on with wiring the new stuff with my new mesa card.
But i'm a little bit confused with the the power supply for the drivers.
The documentation says they can be powered DC 30V-110V or AC 20V-80V.
My current PSU has an output of 43V DC.
But the serigraphy on the drivers reports only "AC 20V-80V",with pins label AC1 and AC2.
Well....what i can do? I can really power them with my current DC PSU (in case what about VCC and GND pins?),or I need an AC PSU (that case,any suggestion?)

Thankyou
Andrea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2020 19:39 #177416 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Hybrid kit HSS86+nema 34
Since i do not trust Chinese manufacturers as i have seen to many horrible and dangerous electronics coming from there, here is a stern warning:
-
The information below is very accurate as can be confirmed with a little search on the web, but i hold no responsibility implicit or otherwise if your drives blow up.
-
You can power almost any AC powered drive with DC power as long as it is within limits stated on the manual with the added 0.6V due to the drop in the internal diodes. The polarity does not matter for stuff that uses a full bridge rectifier, it does for half bridge ones, but even reversing polarity will not destroy anything.
So you can power those drives with 43V DC.
BTW, where did you get that 43V, usually they are 48V ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jocman

More
06 Aug 2020 12:01 #177498 by Jocman
Replied by Jocman on topic Hybrid kit HSS86+nema 34
Thankyou very much
Yes, I know very often chinese stuffs aren't really reliable....
But it's also true that even the most "western" stuff is made by "made in china" subcomponents, so....
Concernign the voltage, my current PSU is a Minibea 500w PSU model EP002G600RKE; as per documentation, the output is 43V.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
06 Aug 2020 14:38 #177515 by tommylight
You are welcomed.
I am fully aware that the western stuff is made there, but at least they must adhere to safety standards, chiensium does not, just search for BigCliveDotCom on youtube, he does some checks on those things and usually they are not isolated from the mains at all.
Back on topic,
43V is OK but 500W might not be quite enough for all 3 of the drives, but do try it by using all 3 motors at the same time.
That will depend a lot on the motors inductance, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

More
07 Aug 2020 12:45 #177608 by Jocman
uhmmmm, I know, 500W is not really the best.
But is the first PSU I got at the very beginning, maybe more than enough for my old system.
As I'm growing up (new drivers, new motors, new board), I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade the PSU side too, although yet no idea what to get

More
07 Aug 2020 12:49 #177609 by tommylight
Get what you already have working and after some testing you can decide if you do or do not need to upgrade.
I am pretty sure it will be enough if the motors are low inductance, but it is hard to tell how low they should be, so testing is the best way of finding out.

More
08 Aug 2020 08:36 #177676 by tivoi
Replied by tivoi on topic Hybrid kit HSS86+nema 34
yes, it can use with ac
for sure, you can open drive and check it, it have refector bridge

b.r

More
10 Aug 2020 07:05 #177796 by Jocman
In these days I'm setting up linuxcnc by PNCconf. Although the LinuxCNC tutorial on Mesa board configuring maybe is a little bit old (the pics don't match with the current version) I'm collecting the info about the requested values to put in.
Then I'll see if it works on a bench test.
The next step, beside the installation on the CNC, will be to....rescue all my previous custom mod I was using with my "old" setup... (probe, macros, etc etc)

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds