Default Low instead of High on 7i76 GPIO Pin?

More
26 Sep 2020 02:23 #183780 by jhandel
Howdy,
I have a few output pins on P1 that I use to enable/disable my spindle and a few other activities... Currently when the card turns on these Pins go HIGH until LInux CNC starts and they are "told" they are output pins.

Is there a way I can force them to default to Low in the BIT file via an update to the VHD for those pins?

I would be ok if ALL the GPIO on P1 (except the 2 programmed for step/direction) pins defaulted low till they were configured by the HAL, its just doubly true for these pins..

Thanks
Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2020 02:36 #183785 by PCW
If you mean 7I76E, there no simple way to do this in the firmware
as the pins are inputs until configured and have pullup resistors,
but there is a simple hardware trick that might work: remove W6
and connect the center pin of HDR W6 to ground. This will turn
all the expansion port pullup resistors to pulldown resistors

More
26 Sep 2020 15:23 #183850 by jhandel
That seems to have created functioning outputs like I would prefer, which is a cool trick, but looks like I can't get an input signal to be detected that way..

The signal is going into a relay because the VFD IO didn't work directly off of the 7I75 is a breakout card (it was reading "on" regardless of if the pin was high or low)..

I'll move my contact to the NC side, when the machine turns on the pins will go high flipping the relays to NO and "turning off" the spindle..

Then I'll invert the logic on the output in the HAL..

Not super in love with the idea that if the relay board looses power or the "default state" electrically is to enable the spindle spindle but we work with what we have when we do a retrofit... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More
26 Sep 2020 15:37 #183853 by PCW
Can you use a field output to supply power to the critical realys?

The GPIO are intended for boards that use active low inputs
Inputs probable fail because the BOB assumes pullups

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds