Mesa 7i76 analog input sensitivity.

More
02 Nov 2020 03:34 #188086 by JohnnyCNC
I just switched to the QT Dragon UI and there is a display for amps so I thought why not hook that up. My DYN4 Servo (Spindle motor) has an analog output that puts out 0 to 3.3 volts -30A to +30A. Given that the 7i76 manual states "These are not highly accurate or high resolution" and the voltage range in the CCW direction is 0 to 1.65 volts should I even bother connecting this?

From the DYN 4 manual:
The current monitor outputs an analog signal relative to the real-time current output from the servo drive
to the servo motor. The current can be monitored relative to both positive (CCW from motor shaft) and
negative (CW from motor shaft) directions.
The analog output has a domain of [ 0V : 3.3V ] relative to [-30A : 30A] current output

From the 7i76 manual:
ANALOG INPUTS
All field input pins are capable of reading the input voltage. These are not highly
accurate or high resolution but can be useful for things like potentiometer inputs. Input
resolution is 8 bits and input full scale value is 36.3V. Accuracy is +-5%. Software process
data modes 1 and 2 allow reading the analog voltage on inputs 0 through 3, in addition to
the 32 digital bit inputs.

Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2020 05:26 - 02 Nov 2020 05:42 #188088 by BeagleBrainz
Well the resolution is about .142 volts for the 7i76.

Which would give you about 11 steps from 0 to 1.65v which is just a tad more than 2 amps per step. It would give you a rough idea.

The below is just an idea off the top of my head, I may be wrong.
If the DMM generated voltage is a truly analogue voltage, you may get a better resolution by amplifying that voltage with a suitable opamp. If it's a voltage created by a DAC or PWM it probably wouldn't be worth it, as it would be created in discrete steps.

If you have a 7i73 it might be usable:
ANALOGUE INPUTS
Inputs 0 through 7 can read analogue signal values however only inputs 0 through 3are supported for analogue input by available interface modes. Analogue inputs have a range of 0 to 3.3V. Normal resolution is 8 bits. All bits are readable as digital inputs. Note: analogue inputs are only accessible in some software modes.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2020 05:42 by BeagleBrainz.

More
02 Nov 2020 14:11 #188111 by JohnnyCNC
Thanks Beagle. I give it a try.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds