Closed loop servo control with custom driver board

More
16 Feb 2021 20:49 #199108 by HerrNamenlos123
Hmm, i'm close.

I am looking through the hm2_eth driver source, but i can't find exactly where packet data is inserted/parsed...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2021 21:31 #199653 by HerrNamenlos123
Alright, i finally have the ability to exchange packets with LinuxCNC.

Everytime i start LinuxCNC it stops right away with an error message after sending dozens of requests. When looking through the source code, i found there is a

" if (debug) "

and lots of log levels everywhere, which prints additional debug information, which would be really valuable to me.

Is there a way to launch LinuxCNC in debug mode to print all messages or to increase the log level?

More
22 Feb 2021 18:19 #199744 by arvidb
I'm not sure about the log level, but I know of two ways to increase the logging verbosity:

* Launching linuxcnc with the -v flag
* Setting the DEBUG variable in the .ini file. This is a bit mask that selects output from different parts of the code, if I have understood correctly; I believe 0x7FFFFFFF gets you everything. The individual bits are defined in a header somewhere.. yes, in here: ./src/emc/nml_intf/debugflags.h. I have not looked into how (or even if) this actually works though.

More
27 Feb 2021 00:40 #200264 by andypugh
The STMBL servo drive does a lot of what you are describing and even uses an STM32 to do it.

Making your own motors and encoders sounds like a fun project. I did it myself once, with mixed success. (I needed a servo-motor with a very large through-bore)

An easy and (now) relatively cheap way to get a target for an optical encoder might be to use a PCB fab house and order a custom solder stencil. They are laser-cut from thin stainless steel, and can be made to any artwork. This is how I had mine made for my motor:

photos.app.goo.gl/UJhu3RTKrto2yRXv7

More
28 Feb 2021 11:01 #200390 by HerrNamenlos123
@arvidb: Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't help anything. It printed more, but entirely not what i was looking for.

I now took the time and compiled LinuxCNC from source and then edited the functions to always print, no matter what log level. Now i get all those prints and i am adding more print statements to further reverse engineer the interface and fully understand it.

@andypugh: Thank you also for your suggestions: STMBL surely looks interesting.

Also, the solder stencil is a really good idea for manufacturing. Up to this point i cut mine manually with a carpet knive in laminated paper and reached up to 200 pulses per revolution. Now i used transparent film and printed the lines with a laser printer, which looks really good and has great accuracy, but it still needs to be tested, if the ink actually blocks infrared light...
The following user(s) said Thank You: arvidb

More
28 Feb 2021 16:06 #200432 by andypugh

but it still needs to be tested, if the ink actually blocks infrared light...

I made a laser-printed reflective encoder target once.
Then I laminated it, and it stopped working. Once laminated the IR reflectance was the same for both black and white.

So, I would not like to predict if your laser printed transparency will work or not.

More
22 Mar 2021 21:40 #203298 by nickom44
I like this idea, a very robust and accurate slotted disk for cost of a PCB , which PCB house did you use?

More
22 Mar 2021 22:52 #203314 by andypugh

I like this idea, a very robust and accurate slotted disk for cost of a PCB , which PCB house did you use?

It was a long time ago, and there turned out to be a company less than a mile from my house that _only_ made PCB stencils.

If I was getting one now, I would probably use seeed. www.seeedstudio.com/stencil.html
The challenge might be getting the pattern needed as a Gerber. But you would get quite a few encoder discs on an 10 x 15 sheet.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds