What to put control board in?

More
08 Apr 2021 19:37 #205350 by MattK
Hi All,

I've purchased the components to build up a control system based upon a mesa 7i96 for a 3 axis cnc, what should I put it all in?

Stuff to house
4 stepper motor drivers
2 48v Power Supplies
1 5v/12v power supply
Mesa card
future spindle control

maybe I am being dumb but my search terms "electronics cabinent", "electronic equipment enclosure box" are either bringing back a small exterior weatherproof wiring box or a serveral hundred dollar which would work quite nicely other than the cost.

What are folks using to house all their electronics? is there something sub $100 which fits the bill that is designed or intended for other purposes?

Thanks for your advice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2021 19:49 #205351 by tommylight
Due to lack of anything "useful" or "appropriate", i use the plastic fuse boxes as can be seen in the link bellow, at least they look half decent! :)
forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/38547...plasma-build?start=0

More
08 Apr 2021 19:59 #205354 by Benb
Replied by Benb on topic What to put control board in?
Have look at this link, although they are just junction boxes nema 3/4 ie not dust proof or water tight. The hammond JB's are in your price range, to see them drill down the web page.

www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/ca...%20-%2020%22&start=0

More
08 Apr 2021 21:45 - 09 Apr 2021 03:35 #205376 by BeagleBrainz
I picked up a enclosed 18 unit rack cabinet second hand. Deep enough to have panels mounted in the centre and have components mounted either side.

Recent update is here forum.linuxcnc.org/show-your-stuff/40259...uild?start=10#205392
Last edit: 09 Apr 2021 03:35 by BeagleBrainz.

More
09 Apr 2021 00:47 #205389 by Michael
You didn't mention what you are doing for a pc. But I hollowed out an ATX Tower case and placed my computer with psu in it. The 48v psu fit where the drive bays go, stepper drives below that. Mesa card below pc mother board. Made some custom relay pcbs to fit the rest of what I needed. All the wiring came in and out via cheap plastic cable glands near or on plates over the pci slot areas.

Cost, damn near free
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, BeagleBrainz

More
09 Apr 2021 13:26 #205430 by MattK
Replied by MattK on topic What to put control board in?
For a PC, I've been using a dell optiplex 755 as it has a parallel port and I took what I had been using for a 2nd monitor for my work laptop (no fun just looking at a laptop screen so I want that back). End game I wont need the parallel port with the new mesa card setup.

Recently my parents upgraded their dell 2350 all in one as the hard disk was on the way out. They gave it and I am in the process of replacing the hard drive and setting up with linuxcnc. Although the all in one has a fan and I assume that I will have dust problems with it, it does have a 23" touch screen and looks quite nice.

I've been searching and like the fuse panels with the clear plastic door so I will probably buy one of those

More
09 Apr 2021 22:12 #205485 by andypugh

I've purchased the components to build up a control system based upon a mesa 7i96 for a 3 axis cnc, what should I put it all in?

Good question.

One option I have used a couple of times is to build a custom housing out of extruded profile:

My first-ever cabinet was built around a 1U 19" rackmount PC (worked well). Made out of 2020 aluminium rail and MDF board painted black.
photos.app.goo.gl/Pg3Vhsp7xmBBoMTD8

Then I used the same idea again, but this time it was built around the monitor and with aluminium panels.
photos.app.goo.gl/V68iPhqTEty2k12SA
photos.app.goo.gl/SdxJedgkuhPNioAP9

With the round-edge profiles this can get rather fancy (this one is not my builld)
photos.app.goo.gl/o1cFLeBMgmKAdRni9
But I think he spent more than you want to.

I would suggest looking on eBay for "Rittal" and see if you find anything at a good price, possibly used.

As an aside, I put the PC Motherboard in the same box, as just one more component. This lathe already had an adequately-sized equipment compartment.
photos.app.goo.gl/rVm3Lcz9QxqmSN7H6

More
10 Apr 2021 00:41 #205491 by pippin88
I use a computer case. Cheapest option by far for the size.

Electronics cabinets are quite expensive for some reason.

ATX computer cases are cheap. May not be quite as strong but work fine

More
10 Apr 2021 02:17 #205494 by JohnnyCNC
I started with a gutted PC case but out grew it before I had it finished. I ended up with one of these. Not the price range you are looking for but it is not outrageous.

Enclosure

It is barely big enough. I wish I had gotten a deeper cabinet but this one fits my space perfectly.

Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2021 14:10 #205894 by MattK
Replied by MattK on topic What to put control board in?
Just a follow-up - The Dell 2350 all-in-one my parents provided

I put in a new SSD and loaded the buster ISO and the latency was off the charts - 3-6million

I f'd around with it for a while testing every combination of ram, and bios settings and could not get the latency down.

Even though I had vacuumed the fan, the CPU/cooling was always hot - after a few hours of f'ing around the video started breaking down and the latency got worse

later I was getting a electronics burning smell - something cooked off

I will use the SSD in another device - so the only cost will be time and to throw out the computer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds