Newbie question

More
02 Sep 2021 19:28 #219458 by max_2021
Newbie question was created by max_2021
Hello!

Does anyone know this 5 axis cnc breakout board?
Link:
www.ebay.com/itm/292528350411?hash=item4...b:g:nFkAAOSwvTxUlQhF

I have been using this for a while. Works also so far. I now have the idea to equip the Z-axis with a length sensor.
So that I do not always have to zero Z manually. Should be simply a 2 Pin Pushbutton with plate I approach.

My question would be, can I connect a length measuring probe (simple probe) to zero the Z-axis and link this with EMC2?

MfG.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2021 19:50 #219462 by Aaroncnc
Replied by Aaroncnc on topic Newbie question
Welcome,

By length probe are you taking about
Touch plate

Or a touch probe for finding the work in xyz?
3 axis touch probe

If its a 2 wire probe then yes you could wire it to the Z axis limit but you could also wire it to 4 axis limit if it is unused so you could have both a z limit switch and a probe. 

More
02 Sep 2021 23:43 #219473 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Newbie question

can I connect a length measuring probe (simple probe) to zero the Z-axis and link this with EMC2?

Yes.

There is a sample config which shows one way to do this

sim/axis/remap/manual-toolchange-with-tool-length-switch/

More
03 Sep 2021 10:10 #219505 by max_2021
Replied by max_2021 on topic Newbie question
Hello AaronCNC,

I just wanted to zero the Z axis. I have always done this with a piece of paper. Is now the question whether one can attach a button on the Y-axis which approaches and Z thereby zeros.
Is this possible with my breakout board? Where do I have to connect the button and what must be configured in LinuxCNC?
Please explain simple and understandable, because I am only a user. Everything I know about Linux and EMC2 I taught myself.

@ andypugh
has already given a hint. Is of course a huge text and that also in English. Since my English is not very good and I am also almost 60 years. It is almost impossible to work through it.
As an older person you don't have so much time. If it were in German it would be better.
But I take answers also in English.

MfG.

More
03 Sep 2021 10:46 #219509 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Newbie question
You can probably just copy across the files (python folder and subroutines folder) and settings from the sample INI:
[RS274NGC]
SUBROUTINE_PATH = nc_subroutines:../../nc_files/remap_lib/common_nc_subs

# ------ remapping toolchange - related codes ----------------------
#
# see python/remap.py for the prolog and epilog handlers
# see nc_files/remap-subroutines for the NGC procedures
#
# the prepare_min.ngc and change_min.ngc are templates - fill in as needed
REMAP= M6   modalgroup=6  prolog=change_prolog   ngc=manual_change  epilog=change_epilog

from the sim config without needing to fully understand them.

More
03 Sep 2021 13:23 #219518 by Aaroncnc
So from the description it sounds like you have a machine with no auto home for z?
So your current work flow is
to insert cutting tool then jog cutting tool down towards the work and use a piece of paper to find the top of the work piece and then set zero?

You could mount one of these to your table

your work flow would then be to load the cutter into the spindle have then go to where the plate is mounted on the table and then depending on what route you use. you could tell the machine to probe Z and it would go down till it made contact with the plate or you could use home.
This will give you a Z zero at the top of the plate and depending on your G code you could be done if you have that height programmed.
If not then you would have to manualy change the Z offset to match the thickness of your work. example the plate is 10mm tall and your work is 24mm thick you would need to jog 14mm up to be at the same level as your work then hit the zero button.

To get more help and maybe even someone to setup your HAL file please do the following.
Post both your HAL and INI file.
A picture of your machine and controller board.

More
03 Sep 2021 17:44 #219547 by max_2021
@andypugh

I want to test how far I can get with this.

@Aaroncnc

that's exactly how I do it when I zero Z.
What breakout board I have is in the first post.
I have a Leadshine power amp on each.
I have a normal portal mill with X=300 Y=400 and Z=200mm.
On the ball screws 4mm are the front and rear limit switches.I switch the spintel via the Releais on the breakout board or in the Gcode. This is connected to a pin on the parallel port.  I can also switch them manually in Axis.
The ini and hal file I will post soon.

MfG.

More
03 Sep 2021 19:11 #219550 by Aaroncnc
I am asking for picture of the machine and the controller board to get a better idea of the wiring and what is and is not hooked up to the controller board.

There are several ways the auto z can be done but they depend on other factors. some are better for certain types of mills. Gantry vs Column mill.

do you use quick change tool holders such as iso30, bt30, cat40, or the tormach style.
Or are you using collets fixed directly into a spindle?
If you are using quick change style and have enough of them you could setup a tool measuring probe and have a z home switch that is located at the farthest point from the table.
then you could use a tool table to just load a tool and the machine knows the length of it and no need to touch off / zero on the top of the part.

But that all depends on the machine and how much room is left on your board.

With the language barrier in our way a picture is worth 1,000s words and harder to misunderstand.

More
06 Sep 2021 16:17 #219769 by max_2021
Hello a picture of my CNC have just not at hand.
But can also be found via google image search.
In the google image search please enter "ISEL CNC Multi K".
I have such a machine. Is equipped with a milling motor Suhner UAC 30 RF.
And yes I use a collet that is directly attached to the spindle.

I have a link to the breakout board in the first post.
There you can see the setup.
In the attachment my HAL and INI.

MfG.
Attachments:

More
07 Sep 2021 19:48 - 07 Sep 2021 19:56 #219873 by Aaroncnc
so i found the pinout for your board to find what pins go where.

www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?acti...21003.0;attach=29693

I am going to make the assumption your going to use a conductive touch off plate that you set onto your work piece.
Read here
7xcnc.com/software/probing/z-touch-plate/

just by luck the A limit switch port on the board is pin 13 same as the guide above.

So you would setup the touch off plate with the following. 
attach wire from A-limit port to a PCB or other conductive plate that you will set onto your work piece.
Then a wire connected to your break out boards ground port, and the other end a alligator clip that will clip to the cutter.

So when you run the mdi cmd 100 it will run the script and touch off the plate when it get pulled ground.

Make sure to test this in the air by starting the script then bringing the plate up to the tool so you dont crash the mill incase there is any issues. 
Last edit: 07 Sep 2021 19:56 by Aaroncnc.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds