Servo control signals

More
05 Sep 2021 12:45 #219664 by sprintertrd
I have a Kinco FD422 servo drive and motors for a router project and in the planning stage for the interface to and from the 7i77 to the drive.
I have the usual inputs to the FD422, analog +-10V for speed & direction control with digital inputs "enable & "fault reset" but I noticed that there is also a option for a "quick stop" input.
Its description in the manual is :" When the signal is valid, the motor shaft releases. After the signal is removed, the driver requires re-enabling".

I was wondering if this input required when I could just use he drive enable input?
Its description is : "By default, the driver enable signal is valid, and the motor shaft is locked".
I assume that the shaft is unlocked if it is not enabled.

For outputs from the FD422 , I have 'ABZ encoder signals",  "Drive ready" and "error" to the 7i77.

I know there are power & grounds that need to be wired to get it going but is there any other IO I should be considering?

Thanks,
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2021 14:49 #219675 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Servo control signals
I would think that enable is sufficient
(you would expect enable to have the same effect, no torque when enable is false)

More
05 Sep 2021 15:46 #219678 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Servo control signals

Its description is : "By default, the driver enable signal is valid, and the motor shaft is locked".

If that is in the manual, it means the drive is enabled when there is nothing on the enable input!
That is ok for stepper systems to a certain point, but it is a big nono for servo systems.
Pretty sure there is also how to reverse that in the manual, you can use it as is while testing, but for daily use i would change that for sure.

More
06 Sep 2021 11:26 #219753 by Roiki
Replied by Roiki on topic Servo control signals
The quick stop signal is for external E-stop circuit. It basically puts the drive in a "safe torque off" state that it can't get out of without reset.

More
06 Sep 2021 12:10 #219754 by sprintertrd
Replied by sprintertrd on topic Servo control signals
Thanks for the answers Gents.
All the answers make sense. Thinking about it the drives have a position mode in them where you can define a movement based on inputs and timers without a external controller so Roiki's answer would fit the best where a simple enable & stop button could control the movement.

In the case of external control I think PCW's answer is correct for this purpose.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds