Hardware to retrofit Hurco BMC-30

More
29 Sep 2010 11:05 #4412 by systronic
what i need to convert Hurco cnc 3 axes + tool change to emc2 control

more info about the project :
all drive is a Fanuc with Fanuc motor rotary glass-scale , spindle drive is fanuc
I have PC with Intel Xeon possessor (2.8 ghz)
no isa port but is possible to me to get other pc ...

Thanks for your reply !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2010 09:37 #4427 by andypugh
systronic wrote:

what i need to convert Hurco cnc 3 axes + tool change to emc2 control!

That is quite an involved question.
What is your budget?
How much time do you have?
How much electronic skill?

You might find some of the case studies informative:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Case_Studies

You will need a PC with either a parallel port or a PCI port.

More
30 Sep 2010 10:51 #4434 by systronic
I try to make a budget but i dot no what i need .

time is not a problem.

my electronic skill is good

I want a good quality and stable part.

the ultimax II controller is conversational , is not capable to run in three axes simultaneous
Ultimax II controller can translate g- code to run but the maximum speed of is 12 inch of feed in three axes simultaneous
i have 1 monitor dead and backup battery is dead
fast feed is 400
i want to run at 80 - 100 inch of feed if possible but if i have 50 is ok

sorry fro my English i talk French

thanks

More
30 Sep 2010 11:57 #4436 by andypugh
systronic wrote:

the ultimax II controller is conversational , is not capable to run in three axes simultaneous
Ultimax II controller can translate g- code to run but the maximum speed of is 12 inch of feed in three axes simultaneous

Sounds like you need to scrap the controller at least.

Do you know what the interface is between the controller and the drives?
What is the motor feedback? (resolver, encoder or tachometer?) I would guess encoder as you say "rotary glass scale"

If the encoders are quadrature output, and the drives are analogue voltage input then it is all fairly easy (you could do it with just a parallel port, if the parallel port had enough output pins)

Basically, your existing controller sounds like it has to go, but the more of the rest you can keep, the less it will cost, the less trouble it will be, and the better it is likely to work. Unless the existing drives, and not the motors, are what limit the axis speeds.

I think this project sounds like it will be best served with the stuff Jon Elson sells:
pico-systems.com/motion.html

But it might be worth looking at other options: (especially Mesa)
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?EMC2_Supported_Hardware

I think you will find you need to settle down and study motor types, encoder types, control systems etc to get the background required to make the right hardware choices. It is quite a large and complex field and it is likely to take weeks (at least) to get a feel for it.

The EMC2 documentation is extensive, and much of it is already translated to french: (click the "fr" links in this page for the french docs)
www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/

More
30 Sep 2010 23:28 #4456 by Gregor
I don't want to be dissuasive, but I'm not sure if a retrofit is really justified in your case (just yet!)

Some points:

systronic wrote:

In conversational you can program three axis helical moves for threadmilling etc. using the standard software. If you have the 3D package installed you can program full 3D toolpaths in conversational.

systronic wrote:

The maximum simultaneous contouring feedrate is 2540mm or 100ipm on the ultimax II. You just need to set the "Chord Error" parameter to zero to give feedrate priority over path accuracy (this is the way most other controls default to)
The maximum single axis feedrate is 4064mm or 160ipm. The maximum rapid speed is 10160mm or 400ipm.
Some of the BMC series machines are faster, but these are the standard.
Also, if you're using some CAM program, this control works best with arc-fit toolpaths for maximum feedrates.

systronic wrote:

A dead monitor on the ultimax II can be as simple as a blown fuse. Go to the hurco section on cnczone where you will find many discussions on the matter!

The backup battery is a very simple matter to fix. See link above.

Advantages of emc2 over the ultimax II:

Rigid tapping (if your fanuc spindle drive is capable)
G5x workshifts. Ultimax II has a single part zero only.
Probing. There is no way I am aware of to connect a probe to the ultimax II.

Unless any of these are really important to you, maybe you should reconsider the retrofit until the control actually dies.

If you decide to go ahead then you will probably do well with a mesa 5i20 setup.

I don't know the fanuc drives, yaskawa are much more common on hurcos, but the ultimax II analogue outputs are all +/-10v so I don't think you should have any problems.

If you have the standard umbrella toolchanger it's quite a simple mechanism that should be easy enough to setup. If you have the swingarm changer, then it's very complicated and would be a lot of work.

Hope some of this is helpful, Gregor

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds