Recommended Mesa setup

More
17 Apr 2022 09:33 #240450 by tallerseverino
Hi everyone.
I'm making a cnc router, I'm in my way to mount the gantry. The z Axis is already working with Axis, a 1605 ballscrew, the motors are closed loop, a nema23 2.2Nm for the z axis, a 8.5Nm for the Y axis (gantry) with rack and pinion and 2 12.5Nm nema34 for the X axis, botj rack and pinion.
I know servos are better, but for now I will use stantard step/dir drivers.
I know this setup doesn't inform linuxcnc where the axis really are, so I'm looking to include digital rulers along the axis. Sooo here comes the doubts. Right now I can run the motors with a BOB, but looking for more inputs I'm interested in mesa hardware. It's a bit confusing. For step/dir the usual setup is a 5i25 with a 7i76, but the encoders for the digital readout comes in 50-pin connectors, so I'm thinking there has to be a way to make step/dir and keep the option of adding encoders.
Am I wrong thinking this? Which setup would you recommend for in the future include the loop from the rule encoders to the system?
Kind regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2022 12:02 #240461 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Recommended Mesa setup
-Everything included = Mesa 7i95
-Step/dir with full spindle encoder = Mesa 7i76E = can be upgraded with encoder inputs with, i think, 7i85
-versatile and separate blocks = Mesa 5i25(PCI) OR 6i25(PCI-E) OR 7i92(ETH) with Mesa 7i76 and later 7i85 or any other
-minimal with options = Mesa 7i96, later 7i85 or any other 25 pin and RS422 Smart Serial
As a general rule, all of them have a free RS422, so remote serial boards can be added, all have IDC26 headers so other 25 pin boards can be added. All can have one RS422 AND at least one IDC26, i think 7i76 and 7i76E have 2 of IDC26 headers, so at a minimum you can add one serial and one IDC board to each of those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tallerseverino, snorlaxCNC

More
17 Apr 2022 15:45 #240476 by tallerseverino
Uhm. Forgot to include that the spindle controller by VFD must also be controlled. I'm writing on my cellphone, I must read carefully the 7i95 manual. If the spindle 0-10v can be implemented it's a safe bet to invest on one board once than several, that can amount to 50% more price than the single board, simpler and neater when wiring. Thanks!

More
17 Apr 2022 19:52 #240486 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Recommended Mesa setup
The problem right now is there are no 7i95's in stock due to the chip shortage. The only thing I have in stock in limited quantities is 7i80HD-25 and for daughter cards 7i33TA, 7i37TA and 7i47.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tallerseverino

More
17 Apr 2022 19:59 #240488 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Recommended Mesa setup
We do have a few 7I95s left and should have 7I96S's maybe at the end of May

More
17 Apr 2022 20:22 #240489 by tallerseverino
I know about the short supply. I was thinking long term, the router is not yet made, in the last few days I made the z axis move and now a lots of drilling for the gantry and the Y carriage before I even mount the next stepper, by the time the whole router it's finished I expect the shortage on semiconductors to be at least less than It is right now. Just thinking ahead, and I'm thankful for the quick replies, I have one less doubt about the electronics. Right now I'm more worried about the price of aluminum, I bought most of It months ago, but the X axis, is almost 2m long and the profiles are 80x160 in my design, and is crazy pricey. Ehm, I'm going off the rails. Anyway I have made my mind about the mesa card, that It has an Ethernet interface is a plus, no need to have the computer "glued" to the machine itself. Need to read the PDF of the card with detail, but it's a lot clearer now.
Thanks again!

More
27 Jun 2022 10:52 #245988 by tallerseverino
Hello everyone.
Just one question. Do linuxcnc correct itself with the digital ruler encoder? I mean, when working a piece, does it correct the router position depending on what the encoder tells the PC? Not a tuning, I mean real-time correction.
Kind regards.

More
27 Jun 2022 12:17 #245996 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Recommended Mesa setup
Yes.

More
30 Nov 2022 09:15 #258102 by tallerseverino
So It's worth waiting for the 7i95 or get now a 7i96E + 7i85.

More
01 Dec 2022 16:39 #258228 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Recommended Mesa setup

So It's worth waiting for the 7i95 or get now a 7i96E + 7i85.

The two-card solution is cheaper, but has less expansion room as the single expansion port would be occupied. 
However, any expansion in IO would probably be handled by smart-serial daughter boards so this might not be important. All three cards mentioned have a smart-serial expansion port. (the 7i95 has two, so it's a tie there) 

Only you can decide how much of a hurry you are in. 

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds