anyone recognize this?

More
30 Apr 2022 21:06 #241736 by tater1337
one former member donated this....thing a few years ago, and during a recent cleanup another member announced some interest in reviving this project

so we took an old PC installed linuxCNC, but now I need to know what the interface is

or he does, I pointed to this forum, just trying to get a step ahead of him

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2022 21:08 #241737 by tater1337
Replied by tater1337 on topic anyone recognize this?
and yes, I am kindly going to chew out the person with the bright idea of hooking up the wall wart like that

More
30 Apr 2022 21:54 - 30 Apr 2022 21:57 #241739 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic anyone recognize this?
its just a standard C10 interface board

That one is from CNC4PC, they are still made:
www.cnc4pc.com/c10-bi-directional-parall...-interface-card.html

They are now used surface mount devices (SMD) components.

if you look under product info there is a load of info, it will all generally be the same as the board you have, just that one is an older board using DIP components

It will just use a standard LPT pinout (pins 1-9, 14, 16 and 17are outputs, pins 10, 11, 12, 13 and 15 are inputs)
Last edit: 30 Apr 2022 21:57 by robertspark.

More
01 May 2022 00:46 #241756 by tater1337
Replied by tater1337 on topic anyone recognize this?
I take it linuxcnc will have no problem with it then?

More
01 May 2022 00:54 #241757 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic anyone recognize this?
It should work just fine.

More
01 May 2022 11:52 #241795 by robertspark
Replied by robertspark on topic anyone recognize this?
I would suggest if you have an old PC with a parrallel port to just have a go at setting linuxcnc up with a parrallel port.

I don't normally recommend the use of the parrallel port, but if you just want to get some motion first (all you need to do is wired up the stepper motors and stepper motor drives to 6 output pins of the break out board (step + direction for each stepper) and you can get some motion.

most people would use pins 2,3,4,5,6 and 7 for the 3 x axis.

once you get some motion you can then add to it with a mushroom emergency stop (I would highly recommend if you are new to cnc as you'll get it wrong and need a quick "off" button).

and then limit switches and a probe / touch off input.

I have never used the parallel port with cnc (that includes Mach3/Mach4 + linuxcnc), but I believe you will need to install the RTAI kernel.

I don't know how much you know about linuxcnc but I'd suggest just installing from the iso here from a usb memory stick.

Don't worry about upgrading or doing anything out of the ordinary until you get motion and you get used to linuxcnc working.

LinuxCNC 2.8.0 Debian 7 Wheezy RTAI
www.linuxcnc.org/iso/linuxcnc-2.7.14-wheezy.iso

set it up with axis first, you can always change it later to something else.
choose the path most trodden and then people can help if you get stuck + its easier to learn and teach.

Once you get the iso installed, start here:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/install/latency-test.html

basically you need to go into the PC bios (use F2 / delete / F10 at boot time) and change all the power saving settings to be turned off (any virtualisation / C states or anything that is a performance booster). You need the PC to operate continiously and without performance blips as you are looking for regular timing.

You will need to reboot and rerun the latency test a few times to see if things have improved or got worse.

You are also likley to benefit from possibly adding some improvements to grub (the GRand Unified Bootloader), but it depends if your old pc has multiple processors or cores

this is an old wit from the wiki. it's sort of relevant, even more so if you are running an older PC and older distribution. it sort of provides a bit of a guide as to what you can try to do.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?The_Is..._Parameter_And_GRUB2

Once you have got linuxcnc latency looking ok / within the recommended ranges, then have a look at moving to this section:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/stepconf.html

good luck and let us know how you get on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
03 May 2022 20:56 #241941 by Gordon49
Replied by Gordon49 on topic anyone recognize this?
Do not worry about running the parallel port on 2.8. use stepconf to set up your card and don't expect too high micro stepping. On my myford vmc conversion I find a max rate of 1800 per rev is the most I can get.

I use the Standard install kernel for linuxcnc, and the parallel port was recognised straight away. Just remember to enable it in the bios, don't ask how I know of this problem!

My pc has a old icore5, running a pcie port to the BOB.

With a 3:1 belt drive on x and y a rapid of 38mm/sec is easily achievable so performance is unlikely to be too sluggish. Z is driving the knee so I limit it to 30mm/sec and reduced the acceleration to 200mm/sec/sec.

Connections of the bob are available on the web, watch out for the power requirements as some bob's need both the 5v and 12v connected.

Best of luck on the setup

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds