Flashing a mesa 5i25

More
03 Jun 2022 08:50 #244490 by Jacobcnc
I bought an unflashed mesa 5i25 and am runing it through a pcie to pci adaptor, I had some problems flashing it and it got disconected whilst running and now has two LED on when powered up, From reading the manual this means I have to reprogram it through the JTAG connector? This is way out of my knowlage base, so is there anyone who can walk me through what cables, software I need and how to do it. or somone in the uk who I can pay to fix it and flash my firmware ot it?
many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2022 12:06 #244512 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Flashing a mesa 5i25
Moved to "driver boards"

More
03 Jun 2022 17:39 - 03 Jun 2022 17:41 #244527 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Flashing a mesa 5i25
I would probably choose a FTDI based JTAG cable and OpenFPGAloader

Notes:

1. 5I25s cards always have firmware and backup firmware installed, there is no
host card access at all unless firmware is loaded.

2. Simply interrupting a programming operation will not require JTAG recovery
because the user flash image will be detected as corrupted and the fallback image will be loaded in its place.

3. If a programming operation corrupted both the user and fallback images this suggests a hardware issue.
Its best to always verify that you have a stable interface before you attempt to update the on card flash
( Say with a read operation like "sudo mesaflash --device 5i25 --readhmid" )
Last edit: 03 Jun 2022 17:41 by PCW.

More
03 Jun 2022 22:03 #244547 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Flashing a mesa 5i25
To install mesaflash go here github.com/LinuxCNC/mesaflash Skip down to the bottom for the install instructions after getting a copy of mesaflash.

Unfortunately the only cards my Mesa Configuration Tool can't flash is PCI and PCIe cards as I've not figured out how to use sudo in a python3 external command.

JT

More
09 Jun 2022 23:19 #244828 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Flashing a mesa 5i25
Did you get anywhere with this? I am in the UK and know my way around Mesa boards. Though I am not sure that I have a JTAG programmer if that truly is needed.

More
10 Jun 2022 23:16 #244917 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Flashing a mesa 5i25

To install mesaflash go here github.com/LinuxCNC/mesaflash Skip down to the bottom for the install instructions after getting a copy of mesaflash.

Unfortunately the only cards my Mesa Configuration Tool can't flash is PCI and PCIe cards as I've not figured out how to use sudo in a python3 external command.

JT

But I'm getting close...

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds