7i95T, power supplies etc.

More
21 Dec 2023 02:59 #288726 by slowpoke
This is my first attempt with LinuxCNC for a CNC conversion of 4 axis knee mill using ac servos. The parts are slowly arriving and I'm now trying to figure out everything that needs to go into the drives enclosure and how I will arrange the various components.

So far I have:
0) MESA 7i95T
1) 4x servo drives (they are powered by 220Vac), which I have access to
2) 5VDC power supply for MESA 7i95T (5V)
3) 12VDC power supply required for various signals to the servo drive
4) Terminal blocks
5) Possibly a fan???

I'm trying to figure what else I might need to get in that box (the PC won't fit so it will be separate)

Anything come to mind that I have overlooked? If I need space for something that I overlook now it could prove tricky rearranging things after the fact to squeeze something else in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2023 09:08 #288740 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 7i95T, power supplies etc.
Do your servos accept 24 volt instead of 12 volt? Normally we use 24 volt for field power.
Be sure to include an EMI/RFI filter on the AC power input. The easiest way to do this is to use an IEC mains connector witht the filter built in. Better ones also have a fuse included.
WHat about VFD for your spindle?

More
21 Dec 2023 23:49 - 21 Dec 2023 23:50 #288794 by slowpoke
Replied by slowpoke on topic 7i95T, power supplies etc.
Thanks for that, I did not think about the EMI/RFI filter. MAINS here are 240V, and the T6 servo controllers are specified as 220V, with a maximum rating of 242V, so I'm using a transformer to drop the voltage to 220V, so I will use one of the chassis mount filters and place it between the transformer 220V winding and the servo ac distribution terminal block (prefer to snuff the noise out before it goes all over the place). I can always use another one on the transformer primary. I might put a ferrite donut on each power pair to the servo? I don't have a sense for how dirty the 220V supply will be, but it's not unlike having four small VFD's sharing a common source.

Servos controller inputs can operate with either 12V or 24V, the MESA board will only be about 6" away and inside metal cabinet (no long lines) I'm going to use 12V if there are issues I can change to 24V

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Dec 2023 23:50 by slowpoke.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds