Mesa CT 7i96 7i85S

More
08 Jan 2024 23:19 #290246 by jtrantow
Mesa CT 7i96 7i85S was created by jtrantow
I just installed mesact from your github hoping I can use it for my lathe and mill instead of using an editor. I've used stepconf and pncconf but this is my first use of mesact.

I have my lathe setup with XYZA motors connected to stepgens on the 7i96 and encoders for XYZ and Spindle on the 7i85S. I'm currently running the 7i96_7i85s.bit firmware but I intend to switch to the a bitfile with PWM on the 7i96 Step4 pins.

Using the firmware/Mesaflash dialog I can verify the firmware. But Options says "No pin file found!" and I can't change the Step Generators, PWM Generatiors, Encoders options?

It looks like I could rewire my steppers connected to the 7i96 6 pin step gen connectors to use the 8 pin Diff Out connectors of the 7i85S and use mesact the way it is?

With the current implementation of mesact is it possible to pair the 7i96 stepgens with the 7i85s encoders?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2024 13:30 #290271 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Mesa CT 7i96 7i85S
Not all firmware has pin files, they have to be hand generated for each one. I have to select the firmware then flash the board then read the HMID copy that and save it in a .pin file with the same name as the firmware file.

I've not done much work on the 7i85 or 7i85S so reading the encoders is not setup in Mesa CT. Are you trying to make a closed loop stepper setup?

Changing the Step Generators, PWM Generators, Encoders is a way to free up outputs. That is only available if there is a pin file for that firmware so the program can read how many there are.

Right now I'm trying to wrap up the huge change in Mesa CT that allows you to pick any drive output you want for any axis.

JT

More
14 Jan 2024 17:18 #290669 by jtrantow
Replied by jtrantow on topic Mesa CT 7i96 7i85S
I'd be happy to flash some 7i85s bit files and provide you the .pin files if that helps??? Just let me know the procedure.

Or is the intent for mesact users to create their own .pin files after setting the number of step gen, pwm, encoder, etc..

More
15 Jan 2024 15:56 #290763 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Mesa CT 7i96 7i85S
To create a pin file you have to flash the board, reload then verify the firmware on the board. Then you read the HMID and copy that to a file with the exact same name as the firmware but with a .pin extension.

For now setting less stepgens, pwms, encoders free up those pins for gpio. I'm not sure if that changes the pin file or not. In any case it would not be something that could be used with the Mesa CT program at this time.

JT

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds