Mesa Firmware - 7i96s + 7i85S 1PWM

More
14 Jan 2024 00:37 #290599 by spumco
I think I'd like to try switching my spindle drive from step-dir to PWM.

I see 7i96s_7i85sd.bin in the hostmot2 folder.  Is this the right firmware file for the above combo?

If not, can I get a firmware file with one PWM generator instead of stepgen 06 (on the 7i85)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2024 00:55 - 14 Jan 2024 03:27 #290600 by tommylight
Just to be sure, does the drive take PWM only or can it run on analog 5V, although pretty much everything will work with both, granted they are not counting pulses or duration or frequency.
7i96S has an analog output that can be made in hal to never output over 5V (or anything between 0-10V), or you can just supply 5-6V to spindle+ on the Mesa, so should work as is.
Easy way to check, yank two batteries from any remote control and wire one to spindle input (mind polarity), notice roughly the speed then wire both batteries and see if it spins faster. If it does spin faster with two batteries, analog will work.
Edit:
PWM drives will not spin the motor at all with 1 battery and will run full speed with 2 batteries in series at the input.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2024 03:27 by tommylight. Reason: more info

More
14 Jan 2024 01:11 #290603 by PCW
I can make firmware with a PWM output on the 7I85S
What firmware are you using currently?

More
14 Jan 2024 01:47 #290604 by spumco

I can make firmware with a PWM output on the 7I85S
What firmware are you using currently?

I think I'm using 7i96s_7i85sd.bin.  That was the first one I saw in the folder with "7i85s" and all expected pins showed up when I flashed it.

I realize now (after looking through the folder again) that my question was a bit dumb, since that's the firmware I'm using.

So yes, please. Firmware for 7i96s with a 7i85s and a PWM output on the 7i85s.

After that's flashed, what are the pin assignments for the PWM output?

More
14 Jan 2024 01:52 #290605 by spumco

Just to be sure, does the drive take PWM only or can it run on analog 5V, although pretty much everything will work with both, granted they are not counting pulses or duration or frequency.
7i96S has an analog output that can be made in hal to never output over 5V (or anything between 0-10V), or you can just supply 5-6V to spindle+ on the Mesa, so should work as is.
Easy way to check, yank two batteries from any remote control and wire one to spindle output (mind polarity), notice roughly the speed then wire both batteries and see if it spins faster. If it does spin faster with two batteries, analog will work.

Tommy,

It'll take -10/+10v, PWM, step-dir, quad, and CAN.  No analog 5v.

The reason I want to try PWM is that I'm using Andy's caxis.comp to automatically switch between spindle mode and axis mode.  And I've recently realized the units between the two modes (revs vs. degrees) is playing havoc with my brain since there are two PID outputs to manage.

My theory is that putting the drive in PWM velocity mode means everything is in revs and I don't have to figure out how to scale the input of one of the PID's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Jan 2024 02:17 #290606 by PCW
Here is firmware with a PWM output replacing the last stepgen on the 7I85S:

File Attachment:

File Name: 7i96s_7i85s1pd.zip
File Size:296 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

More
14 Jan 2024 03:24 #290607 by tommylight
Spummy, i am aware of why as i read almost everything here, it was just something you could try while waiting for the Grand Master PCW.
Keep on grinding, i am rooting quietly for you. :)

More
14 Jan 2024 03:32 #290608 by spumco

Here is firmware with a PWM output replacing the last stepgen on the 7I85S:

File Attachment:

File Name: 7i96s_7i85s1pd.zip
File Size:296 KB

PCW - thanks much.

Which pins are PWM+/- and which are DIR+/-?  Right now I've got TX2+/- as step and TX3+/- as direction.

More
14 Jan 2024 05:02 #290611 by PCW
The included .pin file lists the 7I85S pinout

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds