H bridge

More
22 Jan 2024 16:46 - 22 Jan 2024 16:49 #291349 by vre
H bridge was created by vre
Hello.
I have an old plasma cnc with 2 X axis dc motors 1 y axis 1 z axis all 110V 250w
Distance measurement is done by 4 external rotary encoders connected with pinion to each rack.
So i need 4 h bridge drives to drive them and get encoder feedback to linuxcnc.
Can i get 2 simple chinese dual motor h bridge drivers that are upto 36v and replace mosfets with higher voltage mosfets?
pwm correspods to increased voltage output that means increased rpm
How can config the pid of such h bridges with FF1 and P same as analog +-10v speed drivers ?
Last edit: 22 Jan 2024 16:49 by vre.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2024 08:12 #291401 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic H bridge
You can change the mosfets but that would also require adding voltage regulators as the mosfet drives will not handle more than 36V, and even then it might not work due to high side/low side driving and potential diferences.
It is much safer and easier to get some servo drives for brushed motors, like Geckodrive or Pico Systems PWM drives.
Geckos do have encoder inputs so the loop is closed in the drives (not sure if Pico can do this) and take normal step/dir control signals like a stepper drive, require easy tuning and can also be set to have the loop closed in the drive and LinuxCNC. They can handle 80V, but i would really, really not use anything above 50V.
There are also some yellow servo drives that can handle 160V but i never used those so no idea how good they are, same goes for Pico they have 120V or 160V drives, i think.
Just to be clear, you can use 24V or 36V drives and make the machine work properly, just the speed will be limited, and maybe acceleretaion depending on the mass the motors have to move.

More
23 Jan 2024 08:13 #291402 by qwertyqwq
Replied by qwertyqwq on topic H bridge
hi vre

I was using the same dual hbridge for my old cnc but unfortunalty they are not good and wont take took long to drive motors. Especially if you dont really know the switching periods. And also those boads has dc/dc converter circut that not properly designed. I have repaired tens of boards before i build my own high power and high voltage drive.
If i remembered correctly there were pair of ir2184. This chip has very low sinking and sourcing current so must be taking into account this parameter before changing mosfets. Otherwise this may cause swithing error and miss fires.

More
23 Jan 2024 16:13 #291433 by juliankoenig87
Replied by juliankoenig87 on topic H bridge
Yes. Definately a nogo with the chinese boards. Every (yes every) board I had in hand was a pain in the a...

To be honest. Get 4 CL stepper or if you really wish (no need for plasma) 4 new servos. Much cheaper and way more easier!

More
24 Jan 2024 00:44 - 24 Jan 2024 00:57 #291481 by vre
Replied by vre on topic H bridge
It is not easy to replace current motors because are 4800rpm coupled with massive reducers.
What about this H bridge?
www.electronics-lab.com/project/15a-100v...-half-bridge-driver/
it is 100v with nice mosfet driver..

Also these 1kw servomotors are very cheap has anyone tested?
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006235760809.html
Last edit: 24 Jan 2024 00:57 by vre.

More
24 Jan 2024 01:37 #291483 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic H bridge

It is not easy to replace current motors because are 4800rpm coupled with massive reducers.
What about this H bridge?
www.electronics-lab.com/project/15a-100v...-half-bridge-driver/
it is 100v with nice mosfet driver..

Also these 1kw servomotors are very cheap has anyone tested?
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006235760809.html

I don't think I would trust that H bridge above 80VDC, the mosfets have a 100v VDS and the cap is 160v, there's no safety margin at 100v. The ground plane doesn't look like it has proper clearance from V+ trace either @ even 80v. It does use an Adum isolator/gate driver which is neat. I use Adum isolators all the time and they're not cheap, didn't realize they had one with an integrated gate driver. Schematics are on the page, could easily redesign and fix it.

More
24 Jan 2024 03:23 - 24 Jan 2024 03:25 #291484 by vre
Replied by vre on topic H bridge
Of cource because the driver permits i will use higher voltage Vds and lower
Rdson / Vgs / gate capacitance mosfets more expensive because that used are not the best.
Adum is not expensive costs about 6-7eur on mouser each board costs about 20-25eur
but it is way better than aliexpress dual driver.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2024 03:25 by vre.

More
24 Jan 2024 05:13 #291486 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic H bridge
$7 IS expensive for an IC. If you filled a Mesa card with $7 chips it would cost a hell of alot more. That said it's a convenient chip to use so there's nothing wrong with that. I use an $11 ADUM RS232 chip on one board just because isolating RS232 is difficult and that chip makes it easy.

That board is not safe @100v, the Gerbers are supplied on that site. They use a global 0.3mm clearance. At 101v the IPC table lists 0.4mm clearance for a coated external layer so that PCB was not designed for 100v. Increasing clearances is trivial so the fact they didn't do so means they never intended it to be used for 100v, even if you change the caps and mosfets.

There's alot of datasheet language in the description that makes it sound like it can handle higher voltages but the PCB itself:

Features

• Supply Output Side 12V DC ( 5V-18V Possible Refer Note)
  • Supply VDD1 5V-12V DC
  • Input Signal VIA/VIB 3V to 5V
  • Frequency Up to 1Mhz
  • PCB Dimensions 57.04mm X 48.12 mm

The schematic looks solid and the PCB is not complicated. I suggest if you don't have any experience with EDA that you find a gerber editor and use it to increase the clearances on the supply and load traces. Send the modified gerbers to JLCPCB or PCBway and get some PCBs made for like $10. You'll wind up changing half the components on it anyway so may as well just assemble the whole thing

More
24 Jan 2024 06:07 #291492 by juliankoenig87
Replied by juliankoenig87 on topic H bridge
I would trust this h-bridge only for small things or playing around.

I build years ago UHU servo controllers (uhu-servo.de/servo_en/index.htm). Udo spend a lot of time bizilding these beefy for cnc applications. His designed h-bridge I thrust.

Also I build my own h-bridges from a design for segways from a german guy. Theese I thrust also, but design ist only for somewhat like 30V DC.

Botj designs are way more beefy and complex for good reasons. If you want to go the way then go. But imho you will spent time an money in a way you could easy buy DC servo controller.

More
24 Jan 2024 13:57 - 24 Jan 2024 13:57 #291521 by qwertyqwq
Replied by qwertyqwq on topic H bridge
you can use this .
It is pretty good. All you need to configure your linuxcnc to pwm for each direction and you need to solder 3 wires. Thats it. No need to worry about deadtime or protection features. Without main mcu of this card , you can use just like a hbridge.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2024 13:57 by qwertyqwq.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds