Mesa Card Combination Tool

More
18 Feb 2024 20:42 - 13 Mar 2024 17:27 #293714 by klopp
The whole Mesa card combination thing can be very confusing for newbies, hence all the "Will x card work with y?" threads. Also, finding the cheapest combination for your needs can be a bit time consuming.

Event though questions on here get answered pretty quickly (thanks for that!), I thought I could maybe help some of the people with basic questions.

I made a simple tool that lets you input your needs (I/Os, encoders, axis, etc.) and it will suggest some card combinations, sorted by price. You can also check if your combination of cards will work.
I just made this, so there will probably be some bugs. Feel free to test it out and let me know what you think.

Combination Tool
Last edit: 13 Mar 2024 17:27 by klopp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, spumco, knipknap, Sergiy_J_S_Automatic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2024 20:58 #293716 by tommylight
Just did a quick test and found some bugs:
-7i96S is always named 7i76S, should be 7i96S
-see attached, 6 inputs 4 outputs 1 enable 4 stepgens 1 encoder and 1 spindle comes back with 7i76S (should be 7i96S) and 7i77 and all combos using 2 cards, while everything should be only a 7i96S
Nice idea and implementation, though, thank you. And showing connection between cards is also very nice.
Great job! :)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: klopp

More
18 Feb 2024 21:13 #293722 by klopp
Replied by klopp on topic Mesa Card Combination Tool
Thank you, the 7i76S was a typo, fixed now.

The 7i96S doesn't have a dedicated floating enable output, that's why you need a 7i77 which has that. I'm not super deep into that topic, does it make sense to change it so any output counts as enable?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Feb 2024 22:32 #293723 by tommylight

The 7i96S doesn't have a dedicated floating enable output, that's why you need a 7i77 which has that. I'm not super deep into that topic, does it make sense to change it so any output counts as enable?

Pretty sure 7i96S has two (or more) high current outputs and pretty sure they are all fully isolated.
I might be wrong though.
And, yes, i would see any output as enable output.
The only stuff that might require isolated outputs are spindle VFD and Plasma, not always. So 7i96S is good for both.
Again, thank you, this should help a lot.

More
24 Feb 2024 14:59 #294217 by klopp
Replied by klopp on topic Mesa Card Combination Tool
Okay, it seems that the "enable" option causes more confusion than help, I've decided to just remove it so it's clear.
The form was based off spumcos thread, I haven't looked very deep in every cards datasheet.

More
19 Apr 2024 19:15 #298660 by rdtsc
Replied by rdtsc on topic Mesa Card Combination Tool
Nice, thanks klopp.  Just curious, will the 7C80 and 81 be added?  

More
19 Apr 2024 21:15 #298670 by tommylight
@rdtsc
Why the report?

More
25 Apr 2024 14:51 - 25 Apr 2024 15:08 #299071 by rdtsc
Replied by rdtsc on topic Mesa Card Combination Tool
Couldn't message you here nor IRC, sorry. Not sure; perhaps a grandkid got ahold of my computer.  Gotta hide the remotes when they're over... they've already bought Paramount+ and Amazon Prime just with that!
Last edit: 25 Apr 2024 15:08 by rdtsc. Reason: Grandkids, gotta love 'em.

More
26 Apr 2024 08:21 #299105 by RotarySMP
Interesting idea. I plugged in my lathe:
2x analog axis
1x analog VFD speed control
3x high speed encoders
5x low speed control interface encoders in two locations
17x 24V outputs
5x 5v outputs
13x inputs
One 7x7 Multiplexed keyboard (not counted in the I/O above).

It seems to default to adding a 7i76 to a 7i77 to meet higher number of encoders and I/O required, which seems like a somewhat unlikely solution, as additional I/O will typically be done more cheaply with 7i84, and additional encoders are often low speed usage like control panel overrides, jog wheels etc, which will be better interfaced through 7i73's located close to them, rather than wiring them all the way back to a big card in the main cabinet.

In my case, one think I overlooked in my card selection was that I needed both 5V and 24V outputs. I didn't consider that, and splitting the Vfield rails on the 7i84 left me short of 24V outputs. I picked up a couple more from unused axis on the 7i83, but should really add a second 7i84, rather than switching 24V relays with unused 5V outputs.
This tool does not seem to consider the use of 7i92+7i85 screwed together as the heart of a system, with other SS cards (2x7i84,  7i85, 2x 7i73 in my case) for specific functions.
To be honest, I dont think many new users are capable of correctly identifying all required I/O at the point in the project when the cards are ordered. Had I used this tool, it would have offered suboptimal solutions rather than the 7i92/7i85 based system recommended by PCW (or was it Andy or Tommy?). As such I am glad the wisdom and support of this forum is available.

I know we all like to save money on this stuff, but a 7i73 can save so much time and effort in wiring, and pretty near all CNC machines will have some form of control panel and/or pendant,  it should be a basic recommendation in every project, as for the price it is a steal.
Mark

More
26 Apr 2024 12:51 #299112 by tommylight
I still have one of the 7i73, yet on my Mazak i used a 7i84 for the control panel, mainly because THE existing MPG is a +-12V powered one, so had to also add some resistors for signal shaping.
7i84 has another very nice feature, there are two separate power rails for 2 sets of outputs, so you can have 12V and 24V stuff wired to it.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds