Suggestions for Servo Control?

More
29 Jul 2011 20:14 #11997 by Vigilant
BigJohnT wrote:

I have contacted the guy who added the vti driver to EMC2 to see if he has any more information and asked him to drop by over here to see if he could help you out.

Regards
John

I just tried replying to this old thread. I guess I typed too much, maybe it timed out. Anyway, it crashed me out with an error. So I am just typing this short response to see if I can get a reply accepted. If it works, I will reply again.

John Rowland
Vigilant Products

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2011 20:25 #11998 by Vigilant
OK, it worked that time.

I run Vigilant Products. Its just a circuit design shop now, no software development. We still make these boards, but the only sales are to Windows people.

2007 was the last time I asked the EMC folks for an update on whether the EMC software actually worked with my boards. I got some good information from Mr. Henry, who put me in touch with a Mr. Eric Johnson, and Mr. Johnson answered a lot of my questions. But it was clear that all of the board's features were not supported. I intended to follow up and see what I could do to assist further development. Then...I dropped the ball, got busy with other projects, never did anything.

During the Great Hard Drive Crash of 2010, I lost all my old email contacts. The other day I was reminded of EMC2 and decided to try to again find a developer who could help me get supports for my boards.

So before this thing times out again, if someone could tell me where I am supposed to go to ask for help, that would be great. Thanks.

John R.

More
29 Jul 2011 23:38 #12000 by BigJohnT
John,

You might have better luck on the mailing list for this... but you can never tell.

John

More
30 Jul 2011 14:14 #12031 by Vigilant
Be a little patient, as a newbie here I am having all kinds of problems with this site.

Example: can't figure out how the login thing works. I got an email telling me that you had responded and clicked on the link , and that brought me here. At the top of the page was a login link, so I logged in, and it took me somewhere else, not back here to the forum. So then I searched with the Google thing in the corner and found it again, but now it says I am logged out. Very frustrating. Tried the other login thing in the Google corner and that seemed to work this time. Sometimes, trying to follow links here just takes me to blank pages.

OK, I am very pleased to hear that you have a mailing list, I am sure that must be a Wonderful Thing. But saying that one needs luck makes me a bit worried. Where is the mailing list, and what is the correct way to use it to obtain support?

More
31 Jul 2011 03:39 #12040 by cmorley
You must register. Here is the developer mail list which is probably what you want, (there is a user list too)
lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/emc-developers

He means good luck because I'm pretty sure none of the developers have your board so they don't need the driver to work.
Not that people don't like to help - it's just not a need and its a pain to test without a board :)

Chris M

More
31 Jul 2011 15:50 #12057 by Vigilant
thanks for the link, will do. Probably post a "help wanted" ad. Have hardware, need software, will trade.

More
01 Aug 2011 12:05 #12079 by andypugh
cmorley wrote:

it's just not a need and its a pain to test without a board :)

I currently have 4 drivers in development for which I don't have the hardware, and it does make development and testing very difficult indeed.

Generally developing a driver in the current version of EMC2 is often fairly easy. You might find this thread interestiing:
www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...tart,0/lang,english/

If the board operates simply by accepting bytes/words from the bus, then an EMC2 driver is probably a weekend's work.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds