which drive fit?

More
27 Apr 2011 06:43 #9362 by pazh
which drive fit? was created by pazh
which board and interface card should I chose for a 4 axis machine with encoder and etc.?
I want to use mesa cards. Can anyone tell exactly which stuff should I order from mesanet?

as I searched, it seemed there must be a 5I22 card and a 7I33 interface card with a 7I37TA? anything else? or may be another card like 5I23 fit better?

its my first use of servos and i dont know a lot about them
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2011 11:02 #9373 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:which drive fit?
Usually a 5i20 is all you need unless you have a ton of I/O then the 5i22 with the 96 I/O is used... but this all depends on what kind of drives you have. Do they take a velocity input like +-10v?

John

More
27 Apr 2011 15:43 #9404 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:which drive fit?
5i23 can be seen as a somewhat "souped up" 5i20, is has a bigger FPGA so can run some more complicated firmwares. It might be worth the $30 additional price. However the 5i22 is a _lot_ ore expensive and unless you really need the extra IO is seems overkill for EMC2. For EMC2 use it would probably make sense to use two 5i20s than one 5i22 because you could load two different firmwares so would have more flexibility as well as 6 rather than 4 headers.
As far as I know all the EMC2-supported firmwares fit in the 200k chip on the 5i20.

You can also look at the 7i43, that is much cheaper, and can be easier to cable as it connects to the controller via the Parallel port. It can have a 400k FPGA and has 48 IO pins which is plenty for most machine tools.

If you have brushed servos then bear in mind that you can connect two 7i29 cards to a single FPGA board header, so 1 x 7i43 + 2 x 7i29 + 7i37TA is a perfectly reasonable and cost-effective setup which can connect directly to the motors.

Depending on the size and voltage of your motors, the 7i29 might be overkill.

What motors do you have? Do you already have drives?

More
28 Apr 2011 08:21 #9441 by pazh
Replied by pazh on topic Re:which drive fit?
I dont have the drives yet.
but they will take +-10V velocity input and motors are brushless

so, if I choose 5i23 then what other cards do I need? and how many of them?

More
28 Apr 2011 10:35 #9446 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:which drive fit?
It is possible to avoid the conversion to +/-10V signals. Mesa have a couple of different brushless motor drives.
(Unless you are planning to use cheaper, ex-industrial drives from eBay or similar).
The 8i20 communicates via a serial protocol to the Mesa IO card, and the 7i39 works with individual PWM signals on a 50pin ribbon header cable.
Both will be supported in the pending 2.5 release of EMC2 (which is available for use and testing) but are not currently supported by the 2.4.6 version, it appears.

Otherwise you probably want to use a 7i33 to create the analogue voltages and condition the encoder

More
28 Apr 2011 11:01 #9449 by pazh
Replied by pazh on topic Re:which drive fit?
I prefer to work with 7i33. so should I just order the 5i23 and 7i33? and do they work fine with 2.4.6 version?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds