Anyone familiar with this machine?

More
31 Jul 2011 20:45 #12060 by garym1957
Hi good people;

I've been looking for a decent router table large enough to cut guitar bodies on (24" X 18" X 5" maybe)
The guy who sells this machine cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&i...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT also has one that the correct size for me.

Also, How about www.kelinginc.net/CNCNEMA23Package.html Have you heard of them? Weak website but the product line looks good to me.

Does anyone know about these machines?

I need to get started with CNC and I have a budget ab about 1600 bucks. Anyone know of a machine that fits the bill?

There is a sweet looking kit available from Fine Line Automation... but it uses about 700 bucks worth of aluminum "fancy channel". (80/20) The same lengths of rectangular aluminum would cost about 200 and more drilling and tapping.

Now I'm ramblin.... any comments, criticisms or tirades? Fall will be here soon. I want to make my first cut around September 15th.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2011 21:56 #12061 by cncbasher
my 10 bucks , fine for the job but the spindle motor at 560w is too low for what you want , go for the extra 1.5kw spindle .
kelling kit drivers are fine , the stepper drives are chinese leadshine drives just rebranded , they work fine , the break out board c10 is from cnc4pc , again works fine , but can be a pain to set up , see other posts in the forum
on difficulty others faced , but again they do work fine with emc ,

if your looking at solid body guitar work then the spindle plays a big part , so solid construction etc helps

More
01 Aug 2011 01:01 - 01 Aug 2011 01:03 #12068 by garym1957
Thank you... To I take it to mean the entire kit from KelingCNC is solid enough to do the work - with a real spindle? I thought all CNC was a pain to set up.
This kind of machine can do fine detail like 6mil traces on a PCB, etc? Insect vasectomies? Seriously I need to do a lot of polycarbonate cutting too, some of it pretty delicate.
Again, thanks.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2011 01:03 by garym1957.

More
01 Aug 2011 12:11 #12080 by andypugh
garym1957 wrote:

I thought all CNC was a pain to set up.

Stepper sytems, with stepconf, are pretty easy to set up.
The difficulty is learning what the words mean.
"Amp-enable, OK, I will leave that off for the moment, I am making guitars, not amps"....
:-)
OK, so I am being frivolous, but the point is that most things being sold to do the job, do the job.

More
01 Aug 2011 12:34 #12081 by BigJohnT
garym1957 wrote:

Thank you... To I take it to mean the entire kit from KelingCNC is solid enough to do the work - with a real spindle? I thought all CNC was a pain to set up.
This kind of machine can do fine detail like 6mil traces on a PCB, etc? Insect vasectomies? Seriously I need to do a lot of polycarbonate cutting too, some of it pretty delicate.
Again, thanks.

The keling link was for a stepper motor/drive setup only?

Seriously, cutting polycarbonate takes some pretty good speeds while cutting to keep from melting the plastic as it cuts. Google up Onsrud and find the feed and speed charts for the material you plan on cutting and work back from there.

Cutting fine detail will require ball screws...

I'm not sure at this point if you plan on buying the 80/20 router and adding the Keling steppers and drives or...

As Andy pointed out stepper systems are straight forward follow the bouncing ball thing to set up if you don't try and do something silly like add encoder feedback.

Do the research before you buy and you will be not disappointed in what you end up with...

John

More
01 Aug 2011 14:37 #12089 by andypugh
Looking at the eBay advert, it seems that the machine comes complete with motors and drive. Where does Keling fit in?

More
01 Aug 2011 16:34 - 01 Aug 2011 17:13 #12092 by garym1957
The Chinese machine and Keiling machine are two of several machines I've been looking at.
Someone from Keiling emailed me back with some answers to questions I had last night.. Sunday night. That carries a lot of weight with me. The link I posted for Keling wasn't the right photo, but... same company. Here is the right image link: www.kelinginc.net/CNCmachines3030.html

To clarify.. I do not want the 80/20 machine, since the frame alone costs as much as the entire Keiling frame, with screws, slides and motors. Its awful pretty though.

I am interested in the Chinese machine, as its cheap and the photograph seems to show a very well constructed little beast. Complete - even with wire management... Its kinda small, and from China, so service, lead times, shipping - all headaches. I'm a newbie to CNC. Not an International trader..

The Keling looks good to me, but like I said, I don't know any of these people. I was hoping to find someone who knows this particular machine or company very well.

Are ball screws and lead screws/ACMEs all the same thing? I know they can be ground to have diff pressure angles... but are there fundamental differences?
Last edit: 01 Aug 2011 17:13 by garym1957.

More
01 Aug 2011 17:43 #12093 by andypugh
garym1957 wrote:

The Chinese machine and Keiling machine are two of several machines I've been looking at.
Someone from Keiling emailed me back with some answers to questions I had last night.. Sunday night. That carries a lot of weight with me.

Yes, I would expect much better support from Keling than from China.

I am interested in the Chinese machine, as its cheap and the photograph seems to show a very well constructed little beast. Complete - even with wire management... Its kinda small, and from China, so service, lead times, shipping - all headaches. I'm a newbie to CNC. Not an International trader..

I have become quite comfortable with ordering from China. I agree that the example in the photo looks nicely made. I wonder if yours will be?
However, I don't especially like the X-axis design. It appears that the round rails are all that there is, so that they can flex independently of the machine bed. I might be misinterpreting the picture, but that looks like a recipe for chatter to me.

Are ball screws and lead screws/ACMEs all the same thing? I know they can be ground to have diff pressure angles... but are there fundamental differences?

They do the same thing, but are not the same thing. Both ballscrews and acme screws are leadscrews.
For CNC you really want ballscrews. Unless you are sure that you don't.

More
01 Aug 2011 18:09 #12094 by BigJohnT
Just guessing but the Keling machine also comes from China by the Welcome mat. You mentioned before you want to do some tight tolerance work, does the "2: Resolution: 0.05mm ( 0.002")" fit within your specs?

The machine Keling sells does seem like your basic little 3 axis table minus any spindle or drive system. A breakout board and some decent drives like Gecko and a power supply a spindle and your off and making some chips if you have the computer already.

Don't expect much from machines like that and you won't be disappointed.

John

More
01 Aug 2011 18:12 #12095 by BigJohnT
Oh, it does have ball screws so that is a plus for that one above your run of the mill e-bay ones.

John

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds