Light Machines proLIGHT Mill and Lathe

More
30 Sep 2011 15:25 #13560 by eremius
I've searched the forums and not seen any posts discussing these pieces of hardware. I've been provided with a lathe, a mill, one controller box and one older-than-dirt PC. I would like to get these running on more modern PC hardware, preferably open source.

So the question is, does anyone know whether EMC will work with this hardware?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2011 15:59 #13563 by andypugh
EMC2 can be made to work with the existing machine frame and motors.

From a quick Google the machine appears to be run through an ISA card, and finding a newer PC to use that card might be difficult.

It is possible that EMC2 will run on the existing PC, but would still need a driver to be written for the card. (Which isn't difficult for ISA cards, I did one a few months ago without ever seeing the hardware).

If the machine is controlled by steppers then it is pretty easy to set up with EMC2. Servo machines are a bit more complex to convert, but still not a problem for EMC2.

More detailed advice would require a better breakdown of what the current system consists of. (For example, if the stepper motor power stages are on the ISA card then you will need a new set of stepper drives if changing to a non ISA PC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds