Mighty Viper V500 Retrofit

More
16 Feb 2012 06:39 #17708 by jmelson
PCW wrote:

www.meau.com/functions/dms/getfile.asp?I...00001000007061800000

looks like it (but unfortunately looks like a proprietary serial interface of some kind)

Ugh, may be CAN or something like that. The encoders are also proprietary and need the
drive to translate to some standard code. The problem is these super-high resolution
encoders are nut suitable for most quadrature encoder counters. I've figured out how
to read the Fanuc encoders, these look like they might actually BE Fanuc encoders.
I haven't yet built a board to read these encoders into a computer, but I have been working
on it.

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2012 09:50 #17712 by andypugh
Detailed manual here:
www.meau.com/Files/BNP-B3759B.PDF
Which seems to indicate that the motors are typically Quadrature + Hall (A, B, Z / U, V, W)

I don't have the time at the moment to read through that document for the communications protocol, or to see if the drives also offer a more conventional interface.

It is not inconceivable that LinuxCNC could be persuaded to talk to the drives, Mesa use a serial connection to many of their drives/interfaces and that works with LinuxCNC. There is a fast UART module in Hostmot2, and I have already written a driver for that (not released)

More
16 Feb 2012 17:15 #17721 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:Mighty Viper V500 Retrofit
Looks like the interface is "SSCNET"

Not been able to find and protocol/electrical specs but there are second source
SSCNET master cards available so specs may be also be available (maybe for $)

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds