mazak Quick slant 20

More
04 Jun 2012 02:16 #20628 by clkeck1
mazak Quick slant 20 was created by clkeck1
The deal i was working on for the Sl-3 fell through. But i have come a crossed a 1986 Mazak Quick slant 20 with a T-4 control.

This is a 30hp twin turret lathe and I know EMC will not handle synchronous motion on the turrets but i can live with that. The machine currently has a spindle drive error and was pulled out of service and replaced with a new machine.
Before i buy it i want to see what it would take to fix and retrofit.

How do you handle the 2 turrets? I would assume the top is X & Z axis and the bottom is U (X) & W (Y) axis.
How are tool changes controlled? tools 1-8 on the top turret and 9-16 on the bottom then use CL to sort out which turret needs to index?
What are the options for aftermarket spindle drives instead of having Mitsubishi fix this one for $2500?

For a rough hardware list I'm looking at

1 x D510MO (if still available)
1 x 5i23
1 x 7i48
1 x 7i44
2-3 x 7i64 (# of IO's are yet to be determined. might be using 7i70 and 7i71 also)

Thanks for your help

Cory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2012 11:37 #20642 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:mazak Quick slant 20
Rob H runs a superslant iirc it has two turrets so if you can get his attention here or on the IRC he can tell you what/how he runs his.

Currently the BOX525... is what most folks are using for a motherboard.

Also you might want to consider the 5i25 7i77 combo which is a recent release from Mesa.

John

More
04 Jun 2012 15:25 #20647 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic Re:mazak Quick slant 20
Hiachi sj series drives are good replacements for Fanuc/yasnac/Mitsubishi drives,but a 30 hp drive with an encoder card will cost as much as repairing the Mitsubishi drive.If the T4 Mazatrol works and you like the machine,fix the drive, if the T4 control is dead and you still like the machine,research the Mitsu drive and decide on replacing the drive.

There is a decent running Cincinatti on ebay for about 1000 pus 1200 to load.I have a HUGE 20 x 70 Monarch Medalist with a GE 2000 control that runs that I need gone,yours for 2500.00 It has all ananlog Ge Hiack amps and a 25 hp DC main spindle motor.Made in USA,food for thought....

More
04 Jun 2012 16:35 #20650 by clkeck1
Replied by clkeck1 on topic Re:mazak Quick slant 20
Dumb question

What makes the encoder card necessary? can't EMC control the speed with a PID loop?

Thanks
Cory

More
04 Jun 2012 16:38 #20651 by BigJohnT
Which card are you asking about? An axis or spindle speed?

John

More
04 Jun 2012 16:42 #20652 by clkeck1
Replied by clkeck1 on topic Re:mazak Quick slant 20

Hiachi sj series drives are good replacements for Fanuc/yasnac/Mitsubishi drives,but a 30 hp drive with an encoder card will cost as much as repairing the Mitsubishi drive.If the T4 Mazatrol works and you like the machine,fix the drive, if the T4 control is dead and you still like the machine,research the Mitsu drive and decide on replacing the drive.

I was referring to JR1050's post about the spindle drive.

Cory

More
04 Jun 2012 17:42 #20653 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic Re:mazak Quick slant 20
I guess you could for go the encoder card and use the spindle encoder solely for speed control,as thats what I did on my hardinge,but it is a small collet lathe. If the drive belt ever broke,rhe spindle would run away.

On my Cinci lathe,i replaced the siemens drive with an sj300, the drive was 1400 and the encoder card 200. Again,this has 10 kitagawa power chuck,a 12 pos turrett and tailstock. I dont want the spindle to.get loose at 5000 rpm. Besides the original contol had an input from the drive for zero and up to.speed. After I ditched the acra 850, I didnt have to keep the actual motor encoder,it just good insurance.

I would look real carefully at the Mistu drives, encoders and motors. It seems like the big four always make it difficult to use their stuff with out their control.....

More
04 Jun 2012 18:31 #20654 by BigJohnT
clkeck1 wrote:

I was referring to JR1050's post about the spindle drive.

Cory

Ah Ok, never mind.

John

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds