Retrofit an Emco Compact 6P-CNC

More
29 Apr 2013 15:37 - 29 Apr 2013 15:37 #33375 by smprobban
Hi all!

I finally found an old

this isnt my machine :)

And now what i want to know is what do i need to retrofit this machine?
As an total noob all help is appricated. If you need to know something else pls tell me.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2013 15:37 by smprobban.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2013 04:34 #33409 by emcPT
The most important, in my opinion, is to know the type of motors and drives that the machine currently have so that you would have an idea if you could re-use them. This would play an important role on the money that you will need to expend.
The type of motor that makes the spindle rotate is also important to know in the first stage.

More
30 Apr 2013 13:43 - 30 Apr 2013 13:44 #33425 by smprobban
What i really want to know is if we say that we replace all the old stuff (i havent got the machine yet but my boss wants to know how much it can be in maximum expenses to fix it)
So if i replace the old stuff can somone link too stuff that i would need?
new motors and so on. I am such a noob iit will be hard i just want to know what can be an maximum cost.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2013 13:44 by smprobban.

More
30 Apr 2013 19:41 #33435 by BigJohnT
Is it a stepper or servo machine?

John

More
30 Apr 2013 19:49 #33436 by andypugh

What i really want to know is if we say that we replace all the old stuff (i havent got the machine yet but my boss wants to know how much it can be in maximum expenses to fix it).

I am sure you could spend many thousands, if you wanted to.
This looks like a very useful site for you:
emcocncretrofits.wikia.com/wiki/120_Family

The original motors are 5-phase steppers. I would suggest keeping those, and the original drives.
Alternatively, you could swap to servos all-round.

Keeping the original power supply and drives, I would estimate about $1000 for the complete retrofit. (Things like ferrules for wires, connectors, terminal blocks, nuts and bolts add up to significant sums really quickly)

More
02 May 2013 17:16 - 02 May 2013 17:17 #33516 by smprobban
Thanx for all help i understand that it can be both cheaper and exepensive depending if i replace all stuff or keep some. But what if i keep stuff and they broke afterwards any suggestions?
Should i try to keep some old stuff and they might brake just too save some money or should i replace it all?
Last edit: 02 May 2013 17:17 by smprobban.

More
02 May 2013 17:23 #33517 by andypugh
The original parts are high quality, and there is no reason to expect them to break. I would keep all that I could, if it was my machine.

More
02 May 2013 18:54 #33519 by smprobban
Okey AndyPugh ill trust you :)

More
06 May 2013 00:05 #33659 by Zahnrad Kopf
I'm in a similar boat, right now. I have an Emco 220P that I'm ready to push out into the alley and set afire.
( I'm not kidding. The fire idea would be a nice little stress reliever from this thing ) I'm completely over this machine and its control.

That said, the machine itself is a wonderful little machine and very, very accurate. The control on the other hand, is a complete piece of sh|te...
I am contemplating a conversion for the machine, but have very little patience to undertake another project right now, as we are very very busy.

To answer the questions - they are stepper based, and 5 phase.
The original drivers are crappy, being tempermental and fragile.
The spindles are DC frequency driven, but HUGE for the machine's footprint.

I would very likely get rid of the spindle motor and throw a 3Ø motor in its place, controlled via VFD.
Either that or a servo of appropriate size. ( I would lean toward 3Ø and VFD )
I would likely replace the steppers as well, as 5 phase drivers are more expensive than necessary, too.

The biggest problem I can see coming is the question of controlling the tool turret. Has anyone done that on one of these?
Can the stock hardware be utilized or will something else be needed to be purchased and put in place?

More
06 May 2013 03:19 #33666 by BigJohnT
Is the tool turret the kind that runs fwd then rev against the stop? That has been done many times in LinuxCNC.

John

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds