Servo Drive Cables, Where to buy, How to make?

More
28 May 2013 05:08 #34798 by schmidtmotorworks
Does anyone know a place to buy or way to make the cables that go from the CNC Machine to a Servo Motor?
I am searching my usual eBay and not finding anything, maybe the machine strippers just cut those cables.

The connectors on the machine look like this:
Is there a particular name for these types of connectors I can use to search for them?

1.270 Thread OD
12 pin

1.750 Thread OD
4 large pins 18 small pins
10 Large pins 4 small pins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2013 08:30 #34808 by andypugh
www.igus.com/wpck/default.aspx?PageName=...DRIVECABLES&CL=US-en

Might be able to help. Another user found that they came in cheaper than buying connectors and cables unassembled.

More
28 May 2013 23:08 #34852 by BigJohnT
Those are mil spec connectors as used by the military and others. They come in a zillion different pin outs so be careful when you order. The ones in the photos don't look to be in very good shape and full of swarf, you might consider just putting in some din rail terminal blocks on the inside and use a cord grip.

JT

More
01 Jun 2013 01:46 #35048 by schmidtmotorworks
Good news, I found a catalog that makes finding the matching connector easy.

www.conesys.com/catalogs/aero-electric/M...II)_Rear_Release.pdf

Now I just need to find the right wire to use for the servo and for the encoder.

I get nervous when things go this easy.

More
01 Jun 2013 09:57 #35073 by andypugh

Good news, I found a catalog that makes finding the matching connector easy..

Have you priced them?

I bought 3 motors for £50 from eBay. Each motor then needed £60 _each_ in connectors to make it work.

I have another servo, rather nice, I paid £10. I can't find either connector at less than £110.

It probably does make sense to replace both halves of the connector with something readily available. Or solder on a long flying-lead through a gland.

Neutrik Speakon connectors are rated 240V 20A. They are pretty cheap, 4 poles and readily available. Who cares that they are meant for loudspeakers? (They really do have a nice action, which belies their $5 price.)

They are also fully sealed, as a bonus.

More
01 Jun 2013 09:58 #35074 by andypugh

[They are also fully sealed, as a bonus.

Sorry, I need to clarify this. The sockets and plugs are individually airtight. The connection isn't.

More
01 Jun 2013 11:00 #35081 by schmidtmotorworks
I haven't priced them yet, but I'm worried about it.
I knew this was getting to be too easy and something would come up.

The speaker connector idea looks good. For the encoder, I think I have 6 wires so I would need 2 connectors just for that.

I'll check eBay for other connectors, I think I saw some interesting stuff while looking for Mil Spec.

More
01 Jun 2013 19:33 #35089 by andypugh

The speaker connector idea looks good. For the encoder, I think I have 6 wires so I would need 2 connectors just for that..

I wouldn't use the speaker connectors for the encoder.

There are lots of multi-pole connectors available. I quite like Lemo connectors, but they are just as expensive as the original connectors.
RJ45 (ethernet) connectors would work, but are not even slightly rugged or coolant-proof. They make for easy wiring though.

I have been using these on my first CNC for a few years now for limits and encoders
www.maplin.co.uk/audio-locking-connector...plug-line-socket-997
No problems so far. They aren't very "nice" but they do the job.

There is actually a 8-pole Speakon, though, if you wanted to be consistent.
www.neutrik.co.uk/en-uk/speakon/fc-series/nl8fc

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds