Nema 23 servos?

More
11 Jun 2013 07:14 #35513 by tenaja
Nema 23 servos? was created by tenaja
I have an Emco F1 mill (~80-lb benchtop) that works fine, but it has weak variable inductance steppers; I'd like to convert it to servos with LCNC. I want greater speed, without a chance of stalling. The choices seems rather limited...either weak or huge (over 5" long) or over $1,000 per axis.

1. Does anybody have experience with nema 23 servo motors? Care to share which ones, and other info?
2. What drives have you used? I am not too interested in the Geckos, since they lose much of the benefit of the servo.
3. Does anybody make "small" analog servo drives that would work well with LCNC?

Thanks...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2013 00:41 #35546 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Nema 23 servos?

1. Does anybody have experience with nema 23 servo motors? Care to share which ones, and other info?

I have a couple of RapidSyn 23BLS motors. There are a some on eBay, but they are rather expensive.
These look useful: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cool-Muscle-CM1-C-23L...M2B048-/171027439379
But note that 1/4" shaft is not technically NEMA23.

2. What drives have you used? I am not too interested in the Geckos, since they lose much of the benefit of the servo.

I am using the Mesa 7i39. That connects directly to LinuxCNC (in fact it doesn't really work without LinuxCNC, as it is software commutated). It does require a Mesa FPGA card.

3. Does anybody make "small" analog servo drives that would work well with LCNC? .

Pico systems have a PWM brushless motor drive: pico-systems.com/osc2.5/catalog/product_...ath=3&products_id=20

Alternatively: www.aliexpress.com/item/Nema-23-Brushles...outer/330405971.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds