Have a Kuka robot arm, heard about LinuxCNC

More
10 Sep 2013 07:41 #38583 by neeboy
Hello to all:

I am part of a community workshop that received a donated Kuka robotic arm a few months ago. I've spent several months learning some software (PRC/Hal/Grasshopper/Rhino)....only to just now learn that the Kuka control cabinet (KRC-1) that came with the robot has SEVERE limitations as to program size...as in less than 500 KB. I'm feeling pretty sour on the whole project now...

I also recently heard about people who are using Kuka arms with their own custom-built cabinets and LinuxCNC. Does anyone here do that, maybe willing to share design specs? Our arm is in great working shape, I even cut a simple polyline-toolpath just yesterday. Can anyone here help me out? :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2013 12:35 #38592 by emcPT
500Kb is a lot of program memory, it is not short.

When limitations exist in machines, it is common to deep feed the machine. This procedure is also known as DNC, that is placing the machine constantly receiving data from a source (normally from the PC) where there is almost no limitations in memory. The machine will then read a few lines, execute then read again and so on ...

If your hardware is ok, then do not consider linuxcnc on a first stage. My opinion.

More
10 Sep 2013 19:49 #38612 by andypugh

I've spent several months learning some software (PRC/Hal/Grasshopper/Rhino)....only to just now learn that the Kuka control cabinet (KRC-1) that came with the robot has SEVERE limitations as to program size...as in less than 500 KB.

Are you producing files that are bigger than 500k? That is actually rather a lot of G-code or equivalent.

If your files are bigger than that then you might need to tweak the CAM settings to use shorter segments.

More
10 Sep 2013 21:41 #38623 by neeboy
I'm finding out that robot code is A LOT bulkier than Gcode because each line of the robot code lists the current position of each joint....I also use several CNC routers, and each line in G code only lists a movement command for one axis; with a robot arm you get all six every time there's a position change for any one of the six axes.

More
11 Sep 2013 02:31 #38644 by svenakela
Hi neeboy!

Yes, more joints more code. I make gcode files larger than a MB several times a week, I don't think that it's very large with the size and complexity of the parts in mind (I make complex laminating moulds for carbon fibre structures).

One of my favourites is this one, mostly because it's built from scratch and it makes awesome results.

If you search the Internet for "Robot EMC2" you will find more robot examples than with LinuxCNC. EMC2 is the previous name of LxCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: usman, thefabricator03

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds