Mazak dinosaur retrofit questions

More
13 Sep 2013 05:34 - 13 Sep 2013 05:43 #38715 by Poma
Greetings, first timer here.

I have this ancient lathe that has already been redone a few times mechanically, VQC30/50b. There is an NC checksum error now that can't seem to be fixed for less than $4k, so I figure it's time to upgrade. Everything works otherwise.

Spindle is an AC 3~ 200V 56A induction motor. Easy enough to replace that drive/motor since the motor has nameplate ratings.

The axes seem to be quite more difficult because I can't find out any specs on the motors or drives.
  1. X: HD-101-12 Permanent Magnet DC motor. TRA41A drive
  2. Y: HD-201-12 Permanent Magnet DC motor. TRA61A drive
  3. Z: HD-101-12 Permanent Magnet DC motor. TRA41A drive

Can one of you gurus help me find the power and speed of these motors or drives? I might just end up replacing the lot, but need to have a ballpark for replacement.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2013 05:43 by Poma. Reason: fixed wrong drive part number

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2013 13:11 #38746 by cmorley
I tried google fu but came up empty for specs :(
just to let you know we read your message.

Chris M

More
13 Sep 2013 16:23 #38755 by Jerre122
Have you tried sending an email to mitsubishi? They might be able to send some documentation.

More
13 Sep 2013 20:54 #38763 by Poma
MEAU are yet to respond. I just put in another request with a distributor.

We have some important parts waiting and I wanted to get this running as a manual non-CNC asap, then add CNC early next year when time permits. I might just have to take a stab at the speed and power ratings. I know the drive is 14A (continuous or peak ... not sure). Don't know the voltage but perhaps I can coax the power supply into giving up its secrets.

Thanks for your help gentlemen.

More
13 Sep 2013 20:57 #38764 by andypugh

The axes seem to be quite more difficult because I can't find out any specs on the motors or drives.

I found a manual for the mechanics and spindle motor / drive: catiadoc.free.fr/img/VQCmaintenance.pdf

But that is no help. The axis motors might have been considered part of the CNC Controller set.

You may be able to work out the motor rating from the drive rating, if that is easier to find.
It looks like they might be permanent magnet DC brushed motors, which are at least pretty easy to drive, so you "only" need to work out the encoder pinout.

More
13 Sep 2013 21:57 #38768 by PCW
Here is a link to someone on cnczone that figured out the drive
interface connections to the TRA41A (the TRA61A may be similar)

www.cnczone.com/forums/mazak_mitsubishi_..._interface_help.html

They appear to be standard Analog drives though you may find
that the motors have resolvers instead of encoders
If the drives work you may be able to use the motors/drives as is

More
14 Sep 2013 01:00 #38779 by Poma
Called a few places and finally got the Mitsubishi tech number (847-478-2500). Just for future reference, it is a 1.1KW 1000 RPM 200V PMDC motor.

PCW, that might prove to be very useful. Thanks for finding that.

More
28 Sep 2013 20:50 #39319 by robh
hi there,
yea PCW found my post, its also posted on here some where, look for leadwell retrofit from my name.

Mitsubishi are no help i tried them first time around they basically said whats wrong with the control lol
so after some prodding and probing i found that info, and should be quite the same for all the TRA models i would say as just power side of things that changed for bigger motors.

they are very good drives and motors when you get them tuned and setup right highly reliable also just big money if they ever go wrong but then i would just replace with AC at that point.

rob

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds