Looking for a CNC Milling machine that works whit

More
17 Oct 2013 20:25 #40004 by VCR
Hello

I need to upgrade my CNC Milling machine to a machine whit better quality and bigger working surface. I contacted same manufactures and I’m getting answers that the machines will not run whit EMC2 or Linux. I have many files optimised for EMC2 and I like the software so I don’t want to change.

Can same one reference me a CNC Milling machine manufacture that operates in Europe and works whit EMC2 on Linux OS?

Thanks for the help
Vasco Reis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2013 20:46 #40006 by ArcEye
Hi

I am not aware of any European manufacturer who says that their machines work with Linuxcnc, even if they obviously do.
Sherline in the States is pretty well unique in supplying Linuxcnc configs with their machines.( but their machines are very small)

The trouble is that few people know much about Linux and fewer about Linuxcnc, so they just take the Microsoft tack and try to pretend it doesn't exist.

I don't know what size of machine you are talking about, bigger is relative to what you are used to.

There are some Seig mills and Syil mills which are built for computer controllers. They will not say they work with Linuxcnc, but they work with Mach, so they work with Linuxcnc.
www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/CNC2.html

Beyond that, you are into converting either a college training machine or a small industrial machine.
That is probably the path most on the forum with larger machines have gone down

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: VCR

More
17 Oct 2013 20:53 #40008 by VCR
Thanks. I have a "Amadeal" similar machine based on a Proxxon. I'm looking for a working area around a A3 to A2 paper and 10cm Z

Regards, Vasco Reis

More
18 Oct 2013 04:27 - 18 Oct 2013 04:29 #40028 by newbynobi
Look here, works with linuxcnc and is a real good machine.

GP10050

Norbert
Last edit: 18 Oct 2013 04:29 by newbynobi.

More
18 Oct 2013 15:43 #40032 by VCR
Thanks, the GP10050 looks good and robust. Very over design for my needs but I’ll keep on my “short list”. The High-Z S-720 CNC Router looks perfect but unfortunately the factory assures me that it will not work whit Linux :(

More
18 Oct 2013 17:19 #40034 by newbynobi
OK, you like a more economic machine?
And the factury you contacted only don't want to go away from theire standard, as far as I do see it from here it will run with linuxcnc, but not with the software they supply.

What about this ones?

Möderle

They do run with linuxcnc!

Norbert

More
18 Oct 2013 18:56 #40035 by andypugh

I need to upgrade my CNC Milling machine to a machine whit better quality and bigger working surface. I contacted same manufactures and I’m getting answers that the machines will not run whit EMC2 or Linux

Not the style of machine you appear to be looking at, and not actually in Europe, but both Tormach and Smithy in the US are aware of LinuxCNC. (It is an option at Tormach, the default with Smithy)
www.smithy.com/cnc/1240-mill
www.tormach.com/product_pcnc_770_main.html

The only reason that a given machine might not work with LinuxCNC is if it supplied with a USB interface such as the Smoothstepper.
Having said that, the Mach3 G-code interpreter is a very close relative of the LinuxCNC one, so the G-code ought to work.
(I just had a quick look for the mach3 G-code reference guide, but failed to find it)

More
18 Oct 2013 19:20 #40037 by VCR
It seems that same people are after all running the High-Z whit EMC2. The machine is available with USB and parallel port so ill keep away from the USB option.
I particular like the design of the High-Z, it looks very suitable for my needs. So I’m going to research a bit more on running this machine whit EMC2.
Thanks all for the help

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds