Sourcing Stepper Motors & Drivers, Measuring Spind

More
04 Nov 2013 09:46 #40530 by rexhunt
Hi All,

I have recently got my BeBoPr setup working without connecting it to a machine so now it's time to start buying motors.

At this stage I'm probably going to convert just my lathe for now as if I need to I can still use the mill while I'm swapping over the lathe.

Does anyone have suggestions for a source for NEMA-17(I'm pretty sure this is the size of the current motors) and Polulo compatible drivers in Australia?

Also what is the recommended setup for measuring the speed of the spindle? Currently it is driven with a plastic toothed belt so I don't think there is any kind of tooth counter I can use.

Thanks,
Rex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2013 23:17 #40537 by andypugh

Does anyone have suggestions for a source for NEMA-17(I'm pretty sure this is the size of the current motors) and Polulo compatible drivers in Australia?

What is wrong with the current motors?
What do you mean by "Pololu compatible"? I thought that the Pololu devices _were_ drives. Are you meaning drives that take 5V step/dir signals? That seems to be very nearly all of them.

Also what is the recommended setup for measuring the speed of the spindle?

Hard to say without seeing the machine. Do you want to rigid-tap? Thread?

More
05 Nov 2013 09:12 #40542 by rexhunt

What is wrong with the current motors?

I don't have any information on the original motors and one of the ones on the mill I have (Same set of machines will do after the lathe is finished) had started to make some funny sounds, it's stopped for now but I don't want to be caught short because I don't have any information to be able to replace them if(when) they fail.

What do you mean by "Pololu compatible"? I thought that the Pololu devices _were_ drives. Are you meaning drives that take 5V step/dir signals? That seems to be very nearly all of them.

My understanding is that the Polulo devices have a specific pinout that a number of people have duplicated for a number of different driver chips.
I thought that some of these chips have different power hadling/cost/feature combos so I was hoping for some suggestions.

Hard to say without seeing the machine. Do you want to rigid-tap? Thread?

When I do the mill I would like the option to be able to tap in some capacity however if that's just going to overcomplicate things I'm happy to give it up.
On the lathe I'd like to be able to cut threads.

The headstock is hollow and has a fair bit of space inside it for whatever system I end up going with.

Cheers,
Rex

More
05 Nov 2013 09:17 #40543 by rexhunt
The pictures at the start of this thread are of the same machines as I've got:

www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=77084

Cheers,
Rex

More
05 Nov 2013 18:09 #40548 by andypugh

When I do the mill I would like the option to be able to tap in some capacity however if that's just going to overcomplicate things I'm happy to give it up.
On the lathe I'd like to be able to cut threads.
The headstock is hollow and has a fair bit of space inside it for whatever system I end up going with.x

You don't want to fill the spindle hole up. One of my gripes with my current lathe is that I want a bigger spindle bore. 3" would be nice, :-)

Adding spindle encoders isn't difficult, but you probably have to make something rather than buy something.

I would actually be surprised if the lathe didn't already have a spindle encoder, or at least an index pulse.
www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines...athe.html#post833934
Seems to show an encoder, though it is geared up from the spindle, which is likely to be a problem if that also provides the index.

The simplest solution is probably to buy an encoder and belt drive it (1:1)
www.ebay.com.au/itm/281099904847
Is jolly cheap.
I have one of those at home, I will hook it up tonight and work out if it is 400 counts per rev or 400 lines per rev (because encoders count 4 x lines).

It has just occurred to me to wonder if it is possible to count encoder pulses with your hardware. You are using a Beagle Board?

More
05 Nov 2013 18:25 #40549 by rexhunt

I would actually be surprised if the lathe didn't already have a spindle encoder, or at least an index pulse.
www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines...athe.html#post833934
Seems to show an encoder, though it is geared up from the spindle, which is likely to be a problem if that also provides the index.

I think that's the next model on from what I've got, the speed control on that seems to be able to be set from the computer, on mine the only control is manual, I had a spare motor and speed controller from these machines so I pulled them apart and looking at the controller it looks like it might clip the tops of an AC wave powering the motor with a potentiometer adjusting the cutoff amplitude.

If I were to get something like that, a simple belt drive and something for an index pulse that should be all I need for threadcutting? I wouldn't need any kind of special belt drive either?

It has just occurred to me to wonder if it is possible to count encoder pulses with your hardware. You are using a Beagle Board?

I'm using a beaglebone black with the BeBoPr cape on it. It's originally designed for 3D printers but is quite flexible so should be quite capable for controlling a Lathe.

I hadn't thought of timing issues, I guess I could try putting together some kind of square waver generator and feeding that into an input and seeing if I can get a high enough frequency for maximum speeds.

Cheers,
Rex

More
05 Nov 2013 19:35 #40552 by andypugh

If I were to get something like that, a simple belt drive and something for an index pulse that should be all I need for threadcutting? I wouldn't need any kind of special belt drive either?

I am not sure what you mean by "special belt drive". The encoder needs to run at exactly the same speed and phase as the spindle, so needs a toothed belt, or gearing.
I have made a number of encoders for my lathe, but ended up with a commercial optical encoder running from a gear that I added to the spindle.

Home-made endocer on the spindle of my mill: picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C-6jaOfbge...pFm0?feat=directlink
Toothed-disc and reflective sensors on the lathe spindle: picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_hlZumHKbs...pFm0?feat=directlink
Hall-effect gear tooth sensors on the head of a mill: picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wE4cF0uBYu...pFm0?feat=directlink
Gear-driven resolver on the same mill (I changed my mind :-) picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/S4Q4BwdLXk...pFm0?feat=directlink
And some encoders I had laser-cut for a special application. picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/izs9EehSiB...pFm0?feat=directlink

For your application something like the first one is probably best. I would definitely suggest the transmissive (gap) type sensors over the reflective ones.

I hadn't thought of timing issues, I guess I could try putting together some kind of square waver generator and feeding that into an input and seeing if I can get a high enough frequency for maximum

I suspect that without a dedicated encoder module running in the PRU that you will be limited to 1000 hz sampling, so 400 counts per rev limits you to 150rpm. You might have to go for a single pulse per rev system (which has the advantage of being very easy). Then the maximum speed depends on how long you make that pulse.

More
06 Nov 2013 07:07 #40568 by rexhunt

Home-made endocer on the spindle of my mill: picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C-6jaOfbge...pFm0?feat=directlink

Why do you have more than one pickup on the toothed disk?
Are they just light gates that make a pulse every time a gap passes between them?

I suspect that without a dedicated encoder module running in the PRU that you will be limited to 1000 hz sampling, so 400 counts per rev limits you to 150rpm. You might have to go for a single pulse per rev system (which has the advantage of being very easy). Then the maximum speed depends on how long you make that pulse.

With a single pule system though doesn't that reduce accuracy at low speeds?

Would it be possible to feed the output of an encoder through some kind of divider when running at higher speeds and straight through at lower speeds?

Cheers,
Rex

More
06 Nov 2013 07:55 - 06 Nov 2013 07:56 #40572 by andypugh

Why do you have more than one pickup on the toothed disk?

Quadrature and index, so that the system knows about speed _and_ direction. For rigid tapping on the mill you do need all three channels.

Would it be possible to feed the output of an encoder through some kind of divider when running at higher speeds and straight through at lower speeds?

Even simpler, you can just ignore that fact that you can't get encoder counts at high speed. As long as you always thread at low speed, it should be OK.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2013 07:56 by andypugh.

More
06 Nov 2013 14:35 #40575 by rexhunt
So if I make up an aluminium disk like and set up a light gate and make sure I don't cut threads over a certain speed then that's all I really need to do correct? Would I need some kind of index pulse for cutting threads if it's going to take multiple passes?

Cheers,
Rex

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds