Questions on a Bridgeport X26 CNC mill

More
28 Jan 2014 05:24 #43251 by bmetcalf
So I have a Bridgeport Explorer X26 at work and it has recently lost the ability to use the floppy drive (current controller runs on MSDOS) which makes it so I have to program at the machine. Obviously this can be a bear with long programs, and this is the only machine we have with a tool changer.

I was thinking about upgrading the thing to use a new motherboard and slap linuxcnc on the thing, but as far as hardware goes, I'm not exactly an expert. Anybody have any experience with upgrading one of these that can tell me what kind of hardware I would need (preferably just the boards, the servo motors and everything else seems to work ok) to get this thing upgraded to the point I can run LinuxCNC on it instead of the DX-32 stuff that is on it now?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2014 07:31 #43255 by BigJohnT
If your drives take +-10vdc velocity inputs and use encoders for feedback the conversion is fairly simple with a Mesa 5i25 7i76 combo. I converted my BP with Anilam CNC controls recently.

gnipsel.com/shop/bp1/bp1.xhtml

JT

More
29 Jan 2014 03:10 #43282 by bmetcalf
Awesome, Did your machine have a z-axis and speed control on it? The way it looks on mine, the speed control is exactly like a standard bridgeport with an air motor to change the speed. Do you know if these boards work OK with this type of setup?

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds