lathe retrofit

More
10 Mar 2014 23:21 #44629 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic lathe retrofit

Thats is they are basically only power stages with fault and current sense.
When the drive is not ready, some of the PWM signals change roles (and reverse direction) and provide
4 bits of drive fault information back to the controller.

This may be a situation where it makes sense to sell the original drives and use the money to purchase alternative drives which are easier to deal with.
It is even possible that you might make a profit doing this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2014 23:23 #44630 by andypugh

It is even possible that you might make a profit doing this.

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat...te=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Seems to indicate that they sell for $1200 each. You can buy a nice analogue control servo drive for that sort of money.

More
11 Mar 2014 02:20 #44635 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic lathe retrofit
Note that the 6058-H224 is a 2 channel drive (And a asymmetrical one at that)

More
11 Mar 2014 08:15 #44648 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic lathe retrofit

The A06B-6058 series are digital drives (The A06B-6057 seres and earlier servo (not spindle) drives are analog)

We are working on an interface for the digital servo drives but I cannot promise a completion date.

OK, well, this may not be the cheapest solution, but I do have a system to drive mid-sized Fanuc motors.
In fact, I test here with a 10S motor. So, there is a commutation converter that changes the encoder's
proprietary commutation signals to industry compatible "Hall" signals. Then, we have a brushless
servo amp and a PWM controller. These servo amps are good for at least 122 V and 10 A peak.
That won't give you the full peak torque the motor is capable of, but will give (I think) 2.6 X
the continuous rating of the motor (7.6A). We've been working with the older Fanuc red cap
motors since 2009, so it is a mature product. You can see these products at the Pico
Systems web site ( pico-systems.com )

Now, for the spindle motor, these have different encoder schemes, and I don't know a lot
about them. I think the motors are very similar to the axis motors.

Jon

More
11 Mar 2014 14:11 #44652 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic lathe retrofit
The spindle motor is essentially an overgrown servo, permenent magnent motor. There are drives made by fuji, yaskawa,mistsubishi and hitachi that will drive the motor. As of the last time i checked, non supported encoder feed back. In addition, you will need a braking unit, and consider one 50% larger then the drive capacity, and braking resistors. These drives start at about $ 800 for a 10 hp and go up.from there.

Something to consider, while I have 2 lathes with Emc, and Im.a huge fan of Emc, it has some short comings on a lathe in comparison to Fanuc. There are no canned cycles except for threading and no wear offsets. You have to program it line by line, there are a bunch of user subs posted some where else on the forum. You will also have to write any custom M codes yourself.

If you have never done a retrofit before,even on something simple like a bridgeport, it is a huge undertaking. On a lathe that has Fanuc everything,probably a bidirectional turret, maybe atailstock and gear box, it is going to.be over whelming. Can it be done, yes, but if you need the machine making parts, you would be better off fixing the OT, as you will spend at least as much for new amps, encoders, spindle drive, computer and whatever i/o boards you choose. In addition, unless you build your own, there are no hardwre operator panels available as of now. I build my own, its a task. Running the machine with the mouse sucks, period. There are some gui's that a touch screen could be used with , but you will have to add your own pyvcp buttons.

Im by no means trying to deturr you, Ive seen many machines the owner ripped apart, sold the stuff they could and then found out how difficult this can be. If you really into trying, buy some cheap motors and amps off ebay, build a power supply and have a go on the bench. Thats how i got started and it took me.about three days to get everything set up and working before the motors moved..

One other thing, the Fanuc, as irritating as.it can be, is state of the art. You will be going backwards from a mostly digital.system.to an analog one.

More
11 Mar 2014 17:35 #44660 by andypugh

If you really into trying, buy some cheap motors and amps off ebay, build a power supply and have a go on the bench. Thats how i got started and it took me.about three days to get everything set up and working before the motors moved..

I will go along with this. As with many things, the second attempt will go a lot better. Maybe build a CNC plasma cutter or router before disabling the lathe.
(Alternatively, consider retrofitting something small like one of the small Emco lathes, it is likely to find use in the workshop).
Although looking at the price of them (www.ebay.com/itm/231177685847) perhaps not.

More
12 Mar 2014 04:50 #44706 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic lathe retrofit
If you check this thread:

linuxcnc.org/dapper/emc2/emc2/emc2/index...s?limitstart=0#28877

It took me and another person almost one year from start to end a complete lathe. But we made it, so possible it is, but at the same time a lot of work and money must be considered.
The thread is long but it have a lot of info about the problems - and solutions that we had.
We keeped the original 3ph servos, and changed the original absolute encoders for incremental.

More
18 Mar 2014 20:48 #44950 by jlbs00
Replied by jlbs00 on topic lathe retrofit
hi jon,
thx for the quick reply
i did some digging and somehow got electrical ckt diagram.it shows six signals between digital servo amp and FSOT i.e PWMAX,PWMBX,PWMCX,PWMDX,PWMEX,PWMFX.

Do u know any site which has these fanuc manuals regarding drives and controller signals details?
yes i have 3 phase power available at my place.

i checked the drives by putting them in the somewhat same machine which i located and the machine run good.

Its the controller which is dead
and i don't think its going to be alive again
so as of now i a planning to retrofit the controlle ronly keeping the same drives and motors.
do u think its worth to do this?

thx and rgds
jeetesh

More
18 Mar 2014 22:34 #44951 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic lathe retrofit
I dont know where you can get the Fanuc S series servo drive maintenance manuals except paper copies on EBAY, but
The S series drive interface connections are available in the gfz-61395E manual page 75 (google for gfz-61395E)

All interface signals are 5V level (~1/2 way up thresholds, not TTL), the IS, IR current feedback signals are analog +-5V full scale. The controller asserts /MCON to enable the drive, the drive asserts /DRDY to indicate its ready to accept PWM signals. If /DRDY is not asserted, 4 of the PWM signals return a 4 bit fault code to the controller. These drives mostly use bipolar transistors and have relatively huge dead times (16 uSec)

More
18 Mar 2014 23:00 - 18 Mar 2014 23:00 #44952 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic lathe retrofit

hi jon,
thx for the quick reply
i did some digging and somehow got electrical ckt diagram.it shows six signals between digital servo amp and FSOT i.e PWMAX,PWMBX,PWMCX,PWMDX,PWMEX,PWMFX.

Do u know any site which has these fanuc manuals regarding drives and controller signals details?
yes i have 3 phase power available at my place.

i checked the drives by putting them in the somewhat same machine which i located and the machine run good.

Its the controller which is dead
and i don't think its going to be alive again
so as of now i a planning to retrofit the controlle ronly keeping the same drives and motors.
do u think its worth to do this?

jeetesh

Well, you probably need to use Mesa equipment for this, as for a 2-axis machine you
will need 12 PWM channels. Each of these PWM signals controls ONE transistor of the
Fanuc triple half-bridge drive. I guess the Mesa firmware provides the dead time
between turning off one transistor and turning on the other one.

Jon
Last edit: 18 Mar 2014 23:00 by jmelson.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds